Recommend a few DVDs for my sister's birthday!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Larson, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Well, its my sister's birthday soon, and i can't figure out what to get her - so i'll probably get her a couple of DVDs.
    She likes classic movies, so can anyone recommend something that would appeal to her?
    I don't know anything about classics, but i was thinking about the Marilyn Monroe movies that have been on overstock from time immemorial.
    I'd prefer either fairly funny movies (british comedy preferred), or really nice films - artistic AND watchable.
    Thx! [​IMG]

2. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

How about the original 'The Importance of Being Earnest'. It also has a nice Criterion DVD.

3. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Or some of the Alec Guinness collection recently released.. A bunch of solid classics!

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How about The Sound Of Music?

5. Todd Bennington

I would recommend a wonderful and underseen movie called "I know Where I'm Going!" It's written and directed by Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger (2 of Britain's greatest filmmakers) and is available in a great edition courtesy of Criterion. It's funny, romantic and has plenty of adventure as well. Couldn't endorse it more strongly.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Get Slapstick Encyclopedia from Kino Video.
    It's a little bit expensive, but it's full of immensely funny shorts by the great comedians of the silent era. www.silentera.com has a listing of the shorts.

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

10 off the top of my head:

The Apartment
    Rear Window
    Casablanca
    Charade
    Adam's Rib
    Hopscotch
    Pillow Talk
    The Thin Man
    Sullivan's Travels
    Victor/Victoria

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Good suggestions already. Some additional thoughts:

The Red Shoes, early Technicolor, so its just over-the-top luscious color and one of the best ever integrations of dance and music into a film. Don’t know if this is your sister or not, but for some it’s a three-handkerchief movie.

The Lady Eve Henry Fonda seduced and duped by Barbara Stanwyck—a very funny movie.
    Some Like it Hot, since you mention Marilyn Monroe. This Billy Wilder classic also has Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in drag—and the one-liner, “Well, nobody’s perfect!”, when one is found out.

9. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Good suggestions so far. I'd add the new two-disc set of Singin' in the Rain, which is absolutely spectacular. It's probably the greatest movie musical ever made, it's a heck of a lot of fun, and the extra features on this set are extensive and well-done. For $20, she'll get hours of entertainment!