What's new

Recommend a few DVDs for my sister's birthday! (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Well, its my sister's birthday soon, and i can't figure out what to get her - so i'll probably get her a couple of DVDs.
She likes classic movies, so can anyone recommend something that would appeal to her?
I don't know anything about classics, but i was thinking about the Marilyn Monroe movies that have been on overstock from time immemorial.
I'd prefer either fairly funny movies (british comedy preferred), or really nice films - artistic AND watchable.
Thx! :)

Guy_K

Second Unit
How about the original 'The Importance of Being Earnest'. It also has a nice Criterion DVD.

I would recommend a wonderful and underseen movie called "I know Where I'm Going!" It's written and directed by Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger (2 of Britain's greatest filmmakers) and is available in a great edition courtesy of Criterion. It's funny, romantic and has plenty of adventure as well. Couldn't endorse it more strongly.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
10 off the top of my head:

The Apartment
Rear Window
Casablanca
Charade
Adam's Rib
Hopscotch
Pillow Talk
The Thin Man
Sullivan's Travels
Victor/Victoria

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Good suggestions already. Some additional thoughts:

The Red Shoes, early Technicolor, so its just over-the-top luscious color and one of the best ever integrations of dance and music into a film. Don’t know if this is your sister or not, but for some it’s a three-handkerchief movie.

The Lady Eve Henry Fonda seduced and duped by Barbara Stanwyck—a very funny movie.
Some Like it Hot, since you mention Marilyn Monroe. This Billy Wilder classic also has Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in drag—and the one-liner, “Well, nobody’s perfect!”, when one is found out.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Good suggestions so far. I'd add the new two-disc set of Singin' in the Rain, which is absolutely spectacular. It's probably the greatest movie musical ever made, it's a heck of a lot of fun, and the extra features on this set are extensive and well-done. For $20, she'll get hours of entertainment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atalba