What's new

Recommend a DVD player (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have aToshiba 50H82.

I'm looking to get a new DVD player for it. My current one is dying, and does not have progressive scan. I have looked at a few players, but am suprised to find inexpensive progressive scan players. I'm pretty hesitant to get one before conferring here.

Features I need:
Progressive Scan
DTS
VCD/SVCD

Features I would like but don't require:
MP3
DVD-A
SACD

Please give me any recommendations you have.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Initially I'm considerring the Pioneer DV-563AS and the Malata 520B. Obviously the Malata has the benefit of multi region. However, I'm more concerned with video and audio quality.

My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D810.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I've had my Toshiba SD-3900 for about a couple of months and am completely pleased with it (~$90 @ Target).

Check out the following thread for user comments, especially addressing its multi-region capability (I've successfully played all of my non-R1, PAL discs, about 15):

Toshiba SD-3900 user reports @ DVD Talk International Forum

Best of luck!

EDIT: Found a interesting post within the aforementioned thread:

Anybody looking for more information on the 3900, the July/August 2003 issue of DVD ETC. that just came out has a rave review. They give it a rating of 97. The highly touted Denon DVD2900 only gets a 95 in the same issue. Of course, price factors into the ratings, thus the higher rating for the Toshiba at a list price of $149 over the Denon at a list price of $999.

The reviewer also does a direct comparison between the Toshiba and a much more expensive Intregra Research DPS 8.3 and the Intregra only beats the Toshiba by a "subtle" amount for picture quality. In conclusion, the reviewer says, "At $149, quite frankly, I am amazed at how good the picture quality is."

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
If great qlty is importain to you then go with any Denon player or Panasonic that has the " FAROUDJA " chip in it. It is regarded as one of ,If not the best video processor out there. I had the Panny RP-82 single disk and it was the BEST dang dvd player I ever own. I just upgraded to the Denon DVD-1815 5 disk progressive scan.
Hope this helps.

Rob Darst

Auditioning
Check out the ongoing "Pioneer DV-563A Review" thread. This is a new universal player, no chroma bug, progressive scan, SACD and DVD-A, and BM for the 6-channel analog outputs (though there is considerable discussion on the thread about the shortcomings of the BM and the best solutions to them). The street price is currently about $160-170 (no, I didn't leave out any zeroes). Have fun shopping!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Right now I'm thinking of picking up the Pioneer this weekend at Best Buy with my 10% off coupon. I have yet to see anyone speak ill of the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks