Recommend a DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Berggren, Aug 3, 2003.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I have aToshiba 50H82.

I'm looking to get a new DVD player for it. My current one is dying, and does not have progressive scan. I have looked at a few players, but am suprised to find inexpensive progressive scan players. I'm pretty hesitant to get one before conferring here.

Features I need:
    Progressive Scan
    DTS
    VCD/SVCD

Features I would like but don't require:
    MP3
    DVD-A
    SACD

Please give me any recommendations you have.

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Initially I'm considerring the Pioneer DV-563AS and the Malata 520B. Obviously the Malata has the benefit of multi region. However, I'm more concerned with video and audio quality.

My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D810.

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Any Thoughts?

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I've had my Toshiba SD-3900 for about a couple of months and am completely pleased with it (~$90 @ Target).

Check out the following thread for user comments, especially addressing its multi-region capability (I've successfully played all of my non-R1, PAL discs, about 15):

Toshiba SD-3900 user reports @ DVD Talk International Forum

Best of luck!

EDIT: Found a interesting post within the aforementioned thread:

5. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

If great qlty is importain to you then go with any Denon player or Panasonic that has the " FAROUDJA " chip in it. It is regarded as one of ,If not the best video processor out there. I had the Panny RP-82 single disk and it was the BEST dang dvd player I ever own. I just upgraded to the Denon DVD-1815 5 disk progressive scan.
    Hope this helps.

6. Rob Darst

Rob Darst Auditioning

Check out the ongoing "Pioneer DV-563A Review" thread. This is a new universal player, no chroma bug, progressive scan, SACD and DVD-A, and BM for the 6-channel analog outputs (though there is considerable discussion on the thread about the shortcomings of the BM and the best solutions to them). The street price is currently about $160-170 (no, I didn't leave out any zeroes). Have fun shopping!

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Right now I'm thinking of picking up the Pioneer this weekend at Best Buy with my 10% off coupon. I have yet to see anyone speak ill of the player.