What's new

recommend a dedicated cdp in the $500-$800 range (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm looking to build a dedicated two channel setup for use in my bedroom. i'm not looking for a serious audiofile quality setup but i don't want any garbage either (willing to spend roughly $2500 on complete setup). i don't mind looking to the used market. right now, my short list includes the music hall cd-25, possibly a used rega planet or planet 2000, and i'm also considering looking into the arcam line as well. i'll be demoing some soliloquy 5.0 (and 6.3 for the main system) next weekend for use in the 2nd system. currently, it's my intention to give tubes a try so i'm eyeing the antique sound lab aq1003dt integrated amp. so...does anybody have any cdp suggestions based upon this hypothetical setup? thanks for any insight you guys can provide.

kevin t

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, this subject has been discussed quite a bit, so a search might prove helpful. That said, here are some players to consider in your price range (in no particular order):
* NAD C 541i
* Music Hall CD25
* Exposure 2010 CD
* Arcam DiVA CD72T
* Rega Planet 2000
* Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 ($579 in stock form; should be available for around $879 with a 24/192 upsampling upgrade; go to www.upscaleaudio.com for more information)
* Heart CD5000 or CD6000 (go to Link Removed for more information)
* Sony SCD-C555ES (SACD/CD changer)
I suggest you give the 'C555ES strong consideration. It originally retailed for $1700, but is now available for around $600 by mail. The 'C555ES is an excellent CD player and plays SACDs as a bonus. Build quality is first-rate. It's a definite winner. For more information, check out www.crutchfield.com . Note that Crutchfield's price is high. You will do better with OneCall, Oade Bros., or J&R Music World. Best of luck in your search.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Marantz also makes excellent cd players. You could get a used 63se for around $200. Also a note, there is a used Wadia 12 d/a on Audiogon for $400. Your not gonna beat that!
I am thinking about dropping a class and using the refund to pick that guy up! :)
-rob

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
I second Keith H's recommendations. Very good advice.

Get the Sony 555es from the group.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Having also recently shopped for a quality CD player, I would suggest you also take a look at Rotel. I am very happy with my Rotel player.

With my old Pioneer CD player and even my current Toshiba DVD player, I always felt the need to play CDs using some kind of surround mode. With the Rotel, I do not feel that need on many CDs due to its great sound and soundstage.

JimmyK

Jon W (NoVA)

Stunt Coordinator
What about just using a $200 RP82 DVD-A player and take advantage of it's ability to "re-master" CD's up to DVD-A resolution?

Or maybe the CP72 changer?

Cheap way to go to get some 192/24 DACs ...

Anyone done any head to head tests with these units and the high-end CDP's?

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Rega are supposed to be excellent. I third all of Kevin T's recommendations. I forget who's making, ah yes. Musical Fidelity, I think, is making an inexpensive upsampling unit that would make almost any cd player rock. (well, except some really crappy ones...:) Also, check Ebay for used EAD Ultradisc or 2 unit CD1000 transport/7000 converter. We have the Ultradisc and it is amazing.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jon,

Sorry, but I don't feel the Panasonic 'RP82 or 'CP72 are going to compete with dedicated CD players in the $500-800 range. I have a Technics DVD-A10 first-generation DVD-Audio player, which has the Re-Master feature. Frankly, I don't feel the Re-Master feature makes much of a difference, and I feel the 'A10 is an average CD player. Just my opinion.

Kevin,

Jimmy makes a good point. Add the Rotel RCD-1070 to the list.

Jon W (NoVA)

Stunt Coordinator
Honestly I have no clue, I'm just curious if anyone's tested and/or listened.

I'd just think that in the process of improving the frequency response and noise level of the unit to handle 192KHz and 24bits, that the device would have to be pretty clean with mere CD-audio.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jon, $200 DVD-Audio players are still lacking in the areas of power supply and analog output stage in comparison to dedicated CD players in the $500-800 range. The more expensive CD players will likely have better transports as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks