What's new

Recommend a center channel speaker? (1 Viewer)

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I'm looking to get a new center channel speaker. I just want to replace that one speaker, not get new ones all around. I might get a new subwoofer, too. My current speaker system is the Energy Take 5, which I've had for a few years now. I don't want to replace the other speakers because I have the wiring in the ceiling and I figure I can't go much bigger than with what I already have (see photo, note speakers in ceiling: Link Removed
Please recommend a new center channel speaker, with price, where to buy (preferably online). How concerned to I have to be with the center being not "matched" to the other speakers because it will be a different brand?
I have a Sony STR-DB930 receiver.
thanks
------------------
Jake
JAWSMovie.com - My JAWS Fansite
My Arcade PC
My Home Theater Pics

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Jake: one of my favorite center channel speakers was the Energy AC-300. I think this is now a discontinued speaker so you may have some trouble finding one, but you might get a clearance price.
As far as tone-matching, it wont! This is the one big problem with the Take5 and other "sets": they dont offer an upgrade path.
A better idea would be for you to go out and audition for an entire new front array of speakers. Then buy just the center and plan to upgrade the L/R later.
You could even go for the internet-only HTD series of bookshelves, or some of the NHT Super series (Zero, One, Two). The Paradigm CC-350 (?) center speaker has a lot of fans on this site as well.
Good Luck.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I'd like to replace all five speakers but with my wiring in the ceiling, (again, see photo Link Removed ) I have to stick with smaller speakers. Suggestions?
------------------
Jake
JAWSMovie.com - My JAWS Fansite
My Arcade PC
My Home Theater Pics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks