Recommend a center channel speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake Gove, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

I'm looking to get a new center channel speaker. I just want to replace that one speaker, not get new ones all around. I might get a new subwoofer, too. My current speaker system is the Energy Take 5, which I've had for a few years now. I don't want to replace the other speakers because I have the wiring in the ceiling and I figure I can't go much bigger than with what I already have (see photo, note speakers in ceiling: http://www.dvdscoop.com/ht/far.jpg
    Please recommend a new center channel speaker, with price, where to buy (preferably online). How concerned to I have to be with the center being not "matched" to the other speakers because it will be a different brand?
    I have a Sony STR-DB930 receiver.
    thanks
    ------------------
    Jake
    JAWSMovie.com - My JAWS Fansite
    My Arcade PC
    My Home Theater Pics

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jake: one of my favorite center channel speakers was the Energy AC-300. I think this is now a discontinued speaker so you may have some trouble finding one, but you might get a clearance price.
    As far as tone-matching, it wont! This is the one big problem with the Take5 and other "sets": they dont offer an upgrade path.
    A better idea would be for you to go out and audition for an entire new front array of speakers. Then buy just the center and plan to upgrade the L/R later.
    You could even go for the internet-only HTD series of bookshelves, or some of the NHT Super series (Zero, One, Two). The Paradigm CC-350 (?) center speaker has a lot of fans on this site as well.
    Good Luck.

3. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

I'd like to replace all five speakers but with my wiring in the ceiling, (again, see photo http://www.dvdscoop.com/ht/far.jpg ) I have to stick with smaller speakers. Suggestions?
    ------------------
    Jake
    JAWSMovie.com - My JAWS Fansite
    My Arcade PC
    My Home Theater Pics