What's new

Recommend a camera? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just to expand on Man, Will and Tony's comments, if you are willing to learn the basics of photography and are going to spend over $400 anyway, then a dSLR is definitely worth considering. However, if all you ever will want to do is just point the camera and take a snapshot, then you are probably better off with a small, pocket-size point & shoot camera.

There is nothing wrong about just wanting the latter. My wife, for example, has no desire to learn anything about proper exposures or operating a camera. She just wants something very portable to take a basic photo, so she has a Canon Elph camera as is very happy with that. On the other hand, I get extremely frustrated with the limitations of such a camera, and wouldn't consider using anything other than a dSLR.

If you decide to go the dSLR route, I would suggest looking at new and used options from Canon or Nikon. Those two companies dominate this market, so there are a lot more accessory options (lenses, flashes, etc.) available for these two companies -- both on the new and used market.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
At risk of pimping my own blog, if you are considering a DSLR, I have a longish article that is a bit out dated now but gives my stock set of advice about them:

http://www.navesink.net/2009/12/my-advice-to-people-who-ask-me-about.html

From that, if you learn absolutely nothing else about photography, take 15 minutes and read this:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=414088&highlight=newbie

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Wow, thanks again everyone! Lots of great sensible advice here and I'm taking it all in....read the blog post and that forum post about ISO etc too. Interesting stuff and easy to understand. I have a tendency to over research things, and I can see that's pretty easy to do with cameras so I really need to give some more thought as to how far I might go with photography and figure what the best starting point would be. Money is less a factor as long I use whatever I buy. My wife won't kill me if I buy DSLR and I actually use the camera....

xing2010

Auditioning
Real Name
xing king
hi,
our organization provide camera,memory card & other elctronices device.We promise Low Prices,Quality Product and 30 day Money Back Guarantee
-------------------------------

camera bags

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks