Recommend a 16:9 HDTV for under $2000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianKM, Feb 5, 2002.

1. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

The audio side of my system clearly outguns the video side and I figure that it is time to balance things out. I'm looking for a 16:9 HDTV for under $2k. My viewing distance would be 8-9 feet and my main priority is DVD picture quality, although I do watch some cable stuff. Based on my viewing distance and budget (and partly because I've grown used to my 27" Wega), I have mainly been researching sets in the under-50 inch range. My preliminary list includes:

Toshiba 42H81

Toshiba 40H80 (last year's model)

Panasonic PT47WX49

Mitsubishi WT-46809

What would you recommend and why?

The new Tosh and Mitsubishi are the frontrunners at this point, and I am aware of the upconversion on the new Toshes.

Thanks.

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

If you search the internet, you should be able to find the 50h81 toshiba for around 2000. With the distance you will be from the set, I think you will be happier with the 50"

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I would go with the mits do to the " Mitsubishi Promise" It is a great set and very tweakable..

4. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

Santa Claus brought me a Hitachi 43UWX10B for Xmas. It cost a shade over 2K, $2089. I am extremely pleased with the unit. Can;t recommend it highly enough.

5. Kishu

Kishu Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    I'd recommend Panny 47". This is a fine product and can be tweaked well enough to match equivalent Tosh or Mits or Elite product.
    Check out www.advancedsystems.com price on Pana for $1500ish and go to Sears to pricematch [​IMG]. If you apply for fresh Seards Card you MIGHT get 10% off too.
    Value for $$ this is best deal you have!
    Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Kishore

6. Miles M

Miles M Agent

I would second the vote for Hitachi 43UWX. It's amazing that so few people even know about Hitachi, but they have the best line of RPTV (IMO). The NTSC quality is good, using S-Video VHS the pix looks great, and using component inputs from a DVD or STB, the picture is awesome! I just wish there was more HD programs out there.

This said, I would also agree with the recommendation to get a larger set, even if it means going over budget. I sit ~8ft. from my 53UWX and am getting the itch to upgrade to a 61" or 65".