Recommedations for surround receiver under $200.00

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I'm going purchase a surround sound receiver for my bedroom soon and I don't want to drop more than $200.00 on the receiver. I'm looking for the best possible receiver to drive my Energy Take 5 speakers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. gregD

gregD Second Unit

R_eb

At that price point, there won't be a detectable difference between various makes... nor will there be that many choices. Your best bet is to hit the mass-market stores (goodguys, circuit city), do price comparisons (haggle your store to match prices found at other stores etc), and stick with big mainstream brands (Sony, Onkyo, JVC, Yamaha, Panasonic, and maybe Kenwood) while avoiding 'off' brands (Aiwa, Emerson).

You might look for a bargain in discontinued models which could be a modest step up in quality.

3. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

Try to find something used. You will get a lot more for your money.[​IMG]

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Give the Pioneer VSX-D411 a look. It has the same processing and amplification as the D711 which is the 5ch version of the D811 which is a very capable entry level receiver.

You might also be able to find a D810S or D850S online for a very good price approaching $200 since they're a discontinued model. They are both the predecessors to the D811S and were the first affordable 6.1 receivers to hit the market.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

5. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Check out the buyer's guides at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com for some ideas. You'll want to concentrate on the first link to 5.1 receivers there (5.1 Receivers with an MSRP of $199USD to $275USD).

The site includes links to price comparisons so you can see what you can get a particular model for at several online retailers.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd recommend the sherwood 6108 since it has a sleep timer (after all you said bedroom), sounds decent, and cheap (bought mine for $99 after rebate but Circuit City sells them about every 6 weeks for about $129) though the knocks against it are proprietary remote (meaning not programmable and can only operate other sherwood products), spring clip connections, and 80 hz x-over point (might not match your energy/sub to blend correctly). I own it for my bedroom and thought it outperformed the former denon 2400 and technics SH-AC500D I had in there.

8. Dom P.

Dom P. Stunt Coordinator

I bought the pioneer vsx-511 for $157 on ebay and am VERY please with it for the money.. I would certainly recommend it as a great for receiver for

9. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

I'd recommend the sherwood 6108 also. It's the best smooth sound for the money.

10. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the advice.

I just purchased the Pioneer VSX-D511 NIB for $138.00 shipped from ebay. After reading some reviews and with a pretty good price, I hope I'm happy with this as I'm not familiar with the way Pioneer receivers sound.

I have an Yamaha receiver in my living room so I wonder what the difference will be?