Recommedation of SACD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Tolsky, Oct 27, 2002.

1. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

I put this thread in this topic area because I wanted to get opinions from people already listening to SACD. I'm looking for a decent player that won't necessarily break the bank. Under $400 would be nice and it doesn't have to be a carousel 5-disc player either. Thanks.

2. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

The Sony ce775 is a great sacd player for $180 if you can find one. I've had mine for 3 months, just got it back from service-they had to replace the laser pickup but the warranty service was very fast. I also have a 555es which is a much better player for about $600.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I also recommend the CE775. I have also heard there are new Philips models in this price range that also impress.
    Glad to see you coming over to the dark side of Super Audio, David [​IMG]
    Are you still planning to interview David Chesky?
    Let me know and we can help with arrangements...
    [​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, all of Sony's players are excellent at their respective price points. Here are some models to consider in your price range:
    * Sony DVP-NS500V: The 'NS500V has been discontinued, but it is still available through some brick-and-mortar stores and mail-order dealers for under $200. It is a single-disc interlaced DVD player with multi-channel SACD.
    * Sony DVP-NS755V: The 'NS755V replaced the 'NS500V. The key difference between the two player is that the 'NS755V adds progressive-scan video output. Matthew Anker at www.sacdmods.com has said over on the Audio/Video Sources board that there are some differences under the hood, but they are similar overall. The 'NS755V is available from most dealers for $250. Some mail-order dealers may have it for less. For more information on this player, go to www.crutchfield.com .
    * Sony SCD-CE775: This player does not play DVDs. It is a carousel SACD/CD changer (with multi-channel SACD). The 'CE775 has been discontinued, but you may still be able to track one down for under $200. Assuming SACD and CD are you main interests, I would get the 'CE775 over one of the DVD players, as the 'CE775 offers better sound quality. The 'CE775 is a bargain these days. Thus far, Sony has not announced a replacement for the 'CE775.
    * Sony SCD-C222ES: The 'C222ES is a step-up model from the 'CE775. As an ES model, it offers better build quality than the 'CE775. Also, while the 'CE775 has just an optical digital output, the 'C222ES has both optical and coaxial digital outputs. In addition, the 'C222ES comes with the five-year ES warranty, while the 'CE775 comes with just a one-year warranty. There are many similarities under the hood between the 'CE775 and 'C222ES, but the 'C222ES is better overall. I have compared these two players, and the 'C222ES is better. The difference is more readily apparent with CDs than SACDs in my experience. While the 'C222ES retails for $500 these days, you should be able to get it for around $350 by mail through OneCall, J&R Music World, or Oade Bros. The 'C222ES has been discontinued, but you should be able to find one. It seems that the 'CE775 is tougher to find. For more on the 'C222ES, go to www.crutchfield.com .
    * Philips DVD-963SA: I am going out on a limb a bit here, perhaps, as the '963SA is not out yet. It will retail for $500, but J&R Music World is taking pre-orders for $400. I started a thread over on the Audio/Video Sources board on this player yesterday because I read some initial information on it and was thoroughly impressed. The '963SA looks to offer a lot for the money. Check out my thread for more information. So, I am only recommending the '963SA based on what specs. Hopefully it will deliver.
    Hope this helps. Best of luck in your search.

5. David Tolsky

This is great information guys, thanks and keep them coming!
    Lee, yes, I do want to talk to David. They have sent me one DVD-A and 4 SACD's to listen to so my next review will likely be a Chesky disc. I never had anything against SACD to begin with, I just didn't have anything to play them on.
    Spending money here is a touchy situation at times, but I believe I've been given the green light [​IMG]

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I only have a few Chesky SACDs, but they are all excellent. I have An Introduction to SACD (stereo sampler), Rebecca Pidgeon The Raven, and Christy Baron Steppin'. The music is great on all three, and they sound great.

8. David Tolsky

Interestingly, the one DVD-A that Chesky sent over is the Bucky Pizzarelli Live. Lee, if you're telling me that this title also exists on SACD from Chesky, then I'd like them to send me that as well. I'd like to compare them for the review. Can you arrange this or should I contact Chesky directly? Send me an e-mail with a direct line to them or I can e-mail you with my address.
    Thanks.

9. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Keith --

A buddy of mine has the NS900. How does that compare?

10. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

I own the Sony NS900V. I bought it for $550 from onecall.com. They are discontinued but can be found in some stores if you look for them. I compared the NS900V and the NS755V in the store and I found the 900V to sound significantly better with Cd playback and slightly better with SACD playback. I didn't notice a significant difference with the pictures of the two, but I also didn't spend that much time comparing the video like I did with the audio. In my opinion (obviously since I purchased the 900V) the 900V is worth the extra money for the improvement is sound quality. Also noteworthy is the look and build quality of the 900V, it is fairly impressive to look at and weighs considerably more. If you don't want/need the DVD capability then I would get one of the ES players that are only audio and consider a DVD player that does DVD-A.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, I only have limited hands-on experience with the 'NS900V. What I heard was good, but as I recall, I didn't compare it to anything. I didn't mention the 'NS900V in my reply to David since it is priced above his specified budget. In any event, if I were going to spend around $550 for an SACD player, I would take the 'C555ES over the 'NS900V. I would be very, very surprised if the 'NS900V could keep up with the 'C555ES. If I needed DVD too, I'd buy an inexpensive DVD-Audio player like the Panasonic 'RP82 and let the 'C555ES handle CD and SACD duties.

12. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    David, check your local Circuit City location(s). All of the stores here still have stock of the CE775 for $161, but there have been members here who got it for $100 at their local stores. I'm still on the fence; while $161 is apparently a deal, $100 sounds a lot better, and I'm in no rush to pick one up due to the (in my opinion) scant SACD offerings at present.

13. David Tolsky

The SCD-C222ES sounds like a winner to me. If I could pick one up for $350 or less I may go with it. Carousel trays are typically made of cheap plastic (as the single trays I guess) so I hope the build quality is decent in this model.
    I'd like that it is not a dvd player (don't need another one) and can handle multi-channel. Thanks for the input.

Lee, what is the best way for me to contact Chesky?

14. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

The CE775 is the audio bargain of this decade. Excellent performance at this price point. Plus it can be modded for further elevation of audio nirvana.

15. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

David,

I own a SCD-C222es and couldn't recommend it more. I got mine for 325.00 shipped from Oade Brothers back in June. You should call and see if they still have any available. The build quality is indeed very good for the price, as this player originally went for 800.00 when it was first introduced last fall.

Good luck,

Reggie

16. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I also own the 222ES and love it. It is built like a tank and sounds great!

17. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David Lawson said:

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David Tolsky, the 'C222ES is well built for a carousel changer, especially at its current low price. The 'C555ES is a very solid unit, but the 'C222ES still is well made.

20. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Well, I took the plunge and bought the CE775 for $161. Circuit City locations in this area are quickly running out, according to the salesmen I've talked to at multiple stores (at least one of whom I trust since we worked together at a previous job). Open box models are nowhere to be found, either; I asked if I could purchase the kiosk model, but wasn't allowed since they "need it for the display", despite having no other SACD players (regardless of model) in stock.
    I think I'll focus on classical selections for now, as there's nothing in the current rock/pop selection that interests me (well, maybe the Simple Minds disc). My first one, based on numerous recommendations here, will be Vivaldi's Four Seasons from the Moscow Chamber Orchestra...unless you have a better suggestion in the next half hour or so. [​IMG]