Recomendations with my Bose-?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Lott, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Justin Lott

Justin Lott Agent

I am going to build a new system from hand me downs. My father is getting a new Bose set and is loaning me his 901's. I was debating getting that Kenwood HTB 504 prior to this. I am still thinking about buying that Kenwood Receiver from that system for myself. It supports Dolby Prologic 2 and all that good stuff for 299.99.
    1.) Is there a better DTS/DD decoding receiver out there for my BOSE in or around (within a hundred dollars).
    2.)Does a certain brand tend to sound better than another with the Bose line being that it is mostly a midrange speaker?
    3.) And Finally, I am going to need to buy two surrounds because I am not getting the in the box system. Does anyone know of any decent surrounds that could be had for 100 or 150 (a set).
    Thanks for any help you guys offer me.
    Justin
    P.S.
    Please refrain all the antibose sentiment in this thread bye the way if possible. (I am not asking about that)

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin, I realize you are not looking for anti-Bose sentiments here, but they may be difficult to avoid. I rarely, if ever, see comments from happy Bose owners here, so I am not sure how many people here will be able to help you. I am not trying to attack you, but for a mere $300, you could get a pair of bookshelf speakers that will greatly outperform your Bose speakers. Something like the Energy e:XL 16s or Paradigm Atoms could be considered. That's all I am going to say about that.
    Also, I am not trying to make you feel unwelcome as a Bose owner. I am simply trying to make you aware of the landscape here.
    As for receivers in the $300-400 range, I would look at offerings from Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha ahead of Kenwood.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on September 14, 2001 at 10:01 AM]

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I'd recommend the Onkyo DS595 or the Denon 1802 (in that order). My experience is that the Onkyo is a little "brighter" and may help the 901's "mushy" sound a bit.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

justin -
    let me start by saying i used own a couple of different bose speakers (301 & am7). i liked them fine. eventually i started doing some critical listening and now choose other brands.
    that being said...
    the 901's are really nice speakers. you are getting the eq too right? i had a friend whose dad had a full macintosh rack hooked up with the 901's and i thought they sounded wonderful.
    thinking about what i'm typing, i guess i'm sounding kind of contradictory. in summary, since you're getting the 901's for free, be happy with them. they're decent speakers. but maybe someday, think about listening to other speakers.
    oh yeah...to answer your post, i'd go with an onkyo or denon or yamaha in your price range. i don't think the kenwood has enough "oomph" to run those bose.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

5. Justin Lott

Justin Lott Agent

Good lord you guys are killing me here! That is the first thing anyone puts into their comments...
    ::: I don't much care for Bose :::
    That being said. Let me answer your question.
    Keith- I have been visiting this forum for 2 and a half years and I know the landscape lol.
    I anticipated these reponses which is why I have the disclaimer lol.
    Well I am not a great audiophile by any means-
    I have a budget or about 500 dollars to build this system. I just want a good DTS/DD receiver (relative to price range) and two more surround speakers. I already have a decent center channel.
    Can someone be more specific to the speakers they would buy and reciever given my price range. I am not looking for great sound- Just pretty good sound.
    Thanks Guys.
    [Edited last by Justin Lott on September 14, 2001 at 11:52 AM]

6. Justin Lott

Justin Lott Agent

Yeah I figured some would say that Kenwoods "oomph" wouldn't be enough. Power ratings aren't realistic I suppose.
    Just out of curiousity. What would be most peoples complaints with Kenwood recievers on the whole compared to their counter parts?
    Justin

7. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Justin-
    Check out Ubid.com I JUST picked up a $2000 MSRP Sherwood Newcastle Pre/Pro for $469. The CHEAPEST I could find the reciever online for was $999. This is new BTW. They have plenty of deals going on as we speak:
    PIONEER ELITE VSX33TX 400 Watt DTS AC3 THX Select for $289
    PIONEER ELITE VSX35 450 Watts THX Certified and DTS-ES $329
    Onkyo TXDS787 600WattsTHX Surround EX, DTS for $529
    Be a critical shopper.
    and burn your bose [​IMG]

8. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Justin--
    If your looking for a nice NEW amp within $100
    Sherwood makes a nice amp ( forgot the model) that's like 60 watts X 5 with DTS and Pro-Logic with some other good stuff for around that price...
    Give it a shot!
    Nathan
    ------------------
    "Fascinating Captian"
    --Spock
    Visit www.speedemenu.com

9. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

10. Dale B

Dale B Stunt Coordinator

May I suggest maybe one of the harmon kardons? I have Bose speakers and the hk really makes them shine,not like my old denon avr-2800 or the kenwood I had before the denon.Don't be worried about the wattage ratings on the hk, because they put out more power than either of my previous two receivers. You can get one for $399 dollars at c.c. and even cheaper online. Damn home theater! Will we ever be happy?