recomendations wanted for video editing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles Lucasso, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Miles Lucasso

Miles Lucasso Stunt Coordinator

Hi all-

Im in the market for a new PC to do video editing on my home videos.
    Can anyone suggest what I should look for in a computer?
    As in hard drive size, ports, etc.
    Also is there a good software program, easy to use with decent results?

I'm a complete novice at this.

thanks,

-miles

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

First off, don't buy it at a chain store
    If you're looking at going to DVD, you should be working in DV. You want a capture card from Pinnacle or Canopus.
    For HD size, you really should use a dedicated drive. Take the longest project you think you'll be working on and use this formula
    Minutes divided by 4 times 3 will give you the number of Gigabytes
    So if you're doing an hour long project
    60/4x3= 45GB
    Trust me when I say this, this is a good formula [​IMG]
    Adobe Premiere will come with either one of those programs, and it's the best program out ther at this time.

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I think you should also have a look at the new iMac with a Superdrive (i.e. DVD burner). It comes directly with iMovie and iDVD, which should cover home use.

And if you get really into it, Final Cut Pro is considered (at least from several independent sources I have seen) the best out there, cross-platform!

Just a thought.

-Christian

4. Jeff Kleist

Final Cut Pro is an excellent program

Other than that, see the Mac vs PC wars. If you want a computer that can do something other than video editing and graphic work, in addition (like games) don't bother with a Mac

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Come on; you can certainly do email, surf the web, manage music, write papers, and do lots of other things on a Mac.

//Ken

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Make sure you get a BIG harddrive, video editing takes up a lot of space!!!

9. Miles Lucasso

Miles Lucasso Stunt Coordinator

Thanks all!

I will stay with the pc format at this time, everything else I own is pc so I'm at least familiar with it.

The dvd burner sounds like a good idea, what kind of sound track is it capable of producing? surround ?

Yes, I'm looking at a unit with an 80gig hard drive.

Thanks for the link.
    I'm sure I'll have more questions.

cheers,

-miles

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Any DVD burner is capable, in theory, of burning any kind of sound track. The issue is whether the DVD authoring software supports it -- only high-end stuff will do 5.1, for example -- and more importantly, whether you can even make one.

If your home videos were not recorded in surround (and they probably weren't), then it's kinda moot.

//Ken

11. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

look at macs or midrange PCs. I have a pentium 4 2.4ghz and I do a lot of editing off of miniDV cameras using virtualdub, premiere and a lot of other tools. i also do a lot of mpeg, divx, etc encoding as well. My PC handles it pretty well, I'm doing a high bitrate encode right now and things are still useful enough that I can browse the net while I wait. Whichever computer you decide on, get as much RAM as possible. I have a gig and it's great and not expensive at all any more. Get as much HD space (and get either SCSI or 7200RPM ATA/100 EIDE drives) as you can afford, too. video clips get very large very quickly.

12. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

13. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Miles, there are some things that have not been mentioned that are obvioulsy very importantly but can be accidentally overlooked.
    DV obviously requires a FireWire connection in the system. If you're buying a new system or (preferably) putting one together on your own, make sure that you don't forget the FireWire card if the M/B doesn't have a port built into it.
    Also, I fully agree that you should have a dedicated D: (or other letter) drive strictly for data files. You should also make sure that it's on its own IDE channel, preferably by itself, and that both the IDE controller and hard drive are using an ATA-66 interface, but I recommend ATA-100 at the very least. DV files are somewhat large, so throughput is just as important as available space.
    I'm currently playing with Pinnacle's DV Studio 8 and am strongly considering purchasing Pinnacle Studio Deluxe; however, Canopus is reported to have a better DV codec and costs a about $50 less for the equivalent analog/digital functionality of Pinnacle Studio Deluxe.

14. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

15. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Ken for the link...
    I was just dreaming out loud and thought about how good a home movie would sound in 5.1.
    I guess I'm just always looking for any excuse to show off my system [​IMG]

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

17. Jeff Kleist

In my experience outputting 60-90min projects, my ATA-66 drive would hiccup occasionally around the hour mark. The ATA-100 is smooth sailing.