What's new

Recomendations for a first time DIY sub. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Ok well I decided to get rid of the perfect and I bought my center channel with it. But I still need a good sub. I am very interested in buying the SVS PC-Ultra. I just dont have $1200 to drop on a sub. I have seen the new shiva kit for $300. That looks pretty cool, then I could get a good $200 amp and be done. But I have already been corrupted by SVS. I have heard how awsome they sound. But I know that they also started with a bunch of DIY sub guys. Now some people tell me DIY is the way to go. Can I get SVS quality in a DIY sub??? Because it does seem like a cheaper route. Plus it would be cool to tell people I built that wonderful sub you are hearing.

Well I am just looking for some suggestions, and options for me. If anyone has any ideas please chime in. Thanks again.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Ok, hold up. You're on a DIY site asking if DIY is the right way to go? Of course it is! I like the Shiva kit but if you've got woodworking equipment I'd offer some options. I don't think there's anything magical with SVS subs. A good driver in a properly built cabinet with a good amp and you're there buddy!

TimForman

Supporting Actor
There are several good drivers to choose from. You say "musicality" but what kind of music? If you're talking about fairly mainstream jazz, classical, etc. you're not going to miss much below 30 Hz in most cases. If you're talking about bass heavy music, techno, pipe organs, etc., then you're going to want something different. For $500 I like an overdamped application like the Adire Alignment or a transmission line sub. A Shiva may be enough or you may want to go with a Tempest or an AV15. A 250 watt plate amp will be plenty in any case. Personally, I like either a Shiva in a TL or a DPL12 in a sealed cab for music. For HT I like the Tempest in the Adire Alignment cab. Keep in mind, Adire Audio is local for me.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
If you want Ultra-type performance then I'd definitely suggest a large ported Tempest. It's practically a no-brainer.

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse,

I've just completed the Adire MidQ Sealed Tempest sub. Check out my sub response and compare it w/ SV subs. It cost my roughly $380. It sounds awesome for both music and movies. Build a bigger box if you wanna better punch... I watched LOTR:TTT yesterday at 10db below reference level. It shaked my whole apartment :D I have to crank it down :frowning:

Alex,

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Jesse,

Tempest is a 15" Driver.

If you're serious about this, you owe it to yourself to thoroughly inspect Patrick Sun's Sunosub II website. Sunosub II is a large ported Tempest, like Brian mentions above, which will offer Ultra-like performance.

Pat has painstakingly documented the construction process of all of his DIY projects and is kind enough to publish them for all to see. My Tempest Sonosub is a Sunosub II clone and during the preparation, and eventually, the build, Pat's site was the Bible. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience there. "Learn It...Know It...Live It." :D

JKS

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Thats pretty cool. Now if I wanted to build a sonotube with a single 12" Shiva or something to that effect how do I tell what enclosure size and port lengths and dimensions I need?

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Damn. I was just reading up on Adire Audio's website. I am now kinda interested in the Maelstrom 18". It looks like in one of their enclosure designs that is has a nice flat response for music. But can drop down stupid low. For an 18" sub is this a pretty accurate driver? Becuase as I said before I want it to be musically accurate. But I do listen to alot of movies too.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Is what as good as an SVS? As others have stated, there's nothing magical about SVS. Just lots of good engineering.

Adire also knows a lot about proper engineering. They also make a lot of OEM products so they definitely know what they are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks