recomendations for a 20inch to 27 inch sony wega tv for brothers room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan L B, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

Anything under $800

2. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

If you're not set on the Wega, I'd reccomend the Samsung Dynaflat sets. I have the 27" Dynaflat and it has all of the features of the more expensive 27" wega(non PIP model) including anamorphic squeeze in a user menu and it cost about $100 less and comes with a better warranty. The geometry on my set was near perfect out of the box, unlike what I've heard about many of the 27" Wegas. I had previously owned a 20" Wega and while I liked it, my set had some serious gray scale problems and slight color bleeding on the S-video input. Both the 20" and 27" Samsung sets are a steal.

3. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Wega's under 27" don't do the squeeze trick either, do they?

4. RayRho

RayRho Auditioning

The higher-end model KV27FV17 does have the enhanced 16:9 'squeezed' picture mode available through the menu screen. This is the 27" WEGA with 2-tuner PIP and the vertically oriented speaker grills along the side edges. I got mine at CC for $750.

5. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

6. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Go with the Samsung, I have the TSL3294 HDTV and it blows any of the non XBR (mucho $$$) Wegas away. You can find the 27 on sale failry soon as the new models are being shipped in a few weeks. IMHO, Sony is over priced hype!

7. chris beck

chris beck Auditioning

I agree totally with the Samsung recommendation; on the sales floor at Best Buy the TXL2791F blew away the competition IMHO. The Samsung has a more traditional appearance, too, which I like. If you really like that quasi-Wega "silver" look you can go to Sam's Club and buy the exact same set as an Akai for $100 less.

8. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

Watch out for Bad Geometry on the wega's.

9. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

You may also want to give the Toshiba fst PURE-FLAT series a look. I have the 20AF41 in my bedroom and it is mind blowing right out of the box. In my opinion the Toshiba fst Pure-Flat TV's make the Wega's look like GE's. I do also hear many great things about the Samsungs as well, but I have not really looked at one long enough to give an honest opinion.

Good Luck,

Roy.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

11. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

One additional point about the Samsung sets. The 20" Samsung has component inputs and does the squeeze from a user menu. I think it's the only 20" flat TV that does the squeeze from a user menu. Something to think about if you opt for the smaller set.

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Interesting, Dave. And given how much closely spaced the scanning lines are in a 20-incher, I bet the image produced by squeeze mode on a screen that size is hard to differentiate from a progressively scanned image. I bet it looks great.

13. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

no digital yet. Is S-video bad or something since he wants that in a 20 inch if possible

14. MikeyWeitz

Jack, my point was this: A Samsung 32 HDTV can be had for$1000 right now (I paid a little less). An HS series WEGA (progressive scan capable) is a good 1/3 more then that at the minimum with an XBR being double the Samsung. I was stressing the value and quality of the Samsung vs a comparably priced Sony. You would have to spend double to get something to rival it. I do stand by my comment of them being overpriced and a lot of hype. I never said they were crap (like Bose, hehehe)but if on a budget, the Samsung is impossible to beat. If you have unlimited funds or a lot of $$ to spend, then go for the WEGA. I, unfortunatly, dont have that luxury these days.

Didnt mean to offend any WEGA owners, hell if I had $2k to spend, I might have gotten the XBR 450 myself.

15. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]
    I am almost ready to say the Wega's are crap just like Bose.
    It is strange to me that there is not as much uproar about a company that does little to improve their product and basically sells on their prior reputation as well as the fact that their standard (non HDTV) will do the squeeze either automatically or through the menu.
    I have had to return one 32fv27 already and the second has the same "funhouse effect" but to a much lesser degree. I am going to keep this one even though it is far from perfect because I know I can get one that is worse.

16. MikeyWeitz

Forget it, return it. Then go to BJ's and get the Samsung tsl3295hf for $999 (I imagine you pay'ed close to that for a mid level 32kv wEGA anyway). NO geometry problems and HDTV capable to boot. You will not be sorry Trust me. I was going to buy a wega myself, then I thought better of it. Funny, my friend who has to have (and hype Bose becasue of the name) also has a wega. Same guy who has to have a Dell becasue he thinks the name is good( Even tho I am a Network Admin in charge of 90 computers + 7 servers at work and I want to build him a MUCH better computer in EVERY aspect for half the price, but he thinks Dell (like Bose and Sony) are the best). Guess he is only hurting himself,lol.