What's new

Recomend DVD Authoring Software (1 Viewer)

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I'm not sure if I am posting to the right area but please move this thread if I am wrong. I have been converting my home movies to DVD and am very dissappointed with the results. I first started using Screenblast Movie Studio 3.0 for the editing and this worked great but the DVD authoring software that came with it was a nightmare. After multiple crashes I had to give up and start over with a new program. I next went to Roxio which gave me limited editing capeability but I was able to put a video on DVD. The problem now is the DVD picture quality leaves a lot to be desired. When the camera moves the picture breaks up into jagged lines. The resolution looks to be half that of the original video. Does anyone know of a DVD authoring program that will allow me to use Screenblast and keep my videos at the same resolution as the original DV tape? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Brian,

I use Pinnacle Studio 8 for stuff that I do at home, and I think it is quite good for what you're trying to do. For work and more professional DVD authoring, I use DVD Studio Pro 2, which seems to be a standard for the industry. I believe it's only usable for Macs, but for what you're doing, I think you'll find Pinnacle Studio 8 (there is a version 9 now) more than does the job.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Regarding the picture quality, you might be encountering a feature that attempts to put you entire movie on one disk. Pinacle 8 has this set to "on" by default. Your current program might have this feature also. In Pinacle, you'll want to set the output to "high" quality, it'll then readjust the movie size, which may put you over the disk size.

Since you're working with home movies, one feature I'd look for is being able to edit directly froma DVD. At least in my case, I want to get all the tape onto a DVDs and then go back and edit different tapes (DVDs) together. Without this feature you'll have to find all your tapes than have the scenes you want as part of the planning process. Pinacle 8 does not provide this, the newest Roxio advertises it; not sure about Pinacle 9.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
When viewed on a progressive display like a computer, that's not necessarily wrong. If you see that on an interlaced display like a TV, that probably means you got the field order wrong.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Get yourself a mac G5 and the entry level IDVD. If you want more tools get yourself a copy of DVD Studio Pro..... I am in the process of saving up for a G5. I went to NAMM this year in Aneheim and was blown away by what Apple had to offer in terms of easy of use, editing, special effeects etc for the above products. BLEW everything away, and I mean everything....... Incredable pieces of software especially for the price...

For the PC you might want to try Adobe's Encore DVD. Keep in mind there will be a steep learning curve, but if you want to your own dvd's to look good, that is what you are going to have to do. You can use the other programs, but you just can't compete with the above. If you want the midrange DVD authoring program, I would second the Pinnical software...

R~

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
I have good luck with Adobe Encore DVD. It was a bit buggy at first but the latest patch has fixed most problems. You can make great menus if you use that with Photoshop.

-Ian

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for all the excellent replies. I am going to research each of the programs you all mentioned in detail. So far I'm leaning toward DVDLab. It sounds like it has everything I was looking for in a program. Does anyone else have any experience with this one?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
DVD Lab is great but it's an authoring package, not for video editing or encoding.

The best encoder this side of Cinema Craft is probably still TMPGEnc.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Brian Dude,

I downloaded Adobe Encore DVD from Kazaa lite and I find it highly capable but difficult to learn. I wish I could help more.....

Dudes,

Chester

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i wish i was able to disagree with you here. unfortunately, every dvd authoring program i have used has had a significant downfall to it. i had to use many different ones before i settled on one. i used tmpegenc dvd author. it is far from perfect, but it did what i needed to do for that particular project. i didnt like the adobe software as much, i was surprised. adobe usually puts out a top of the line product, maybe they rushed into a quickly growing software market with this one.

CJ

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dudes,

The guy who created DVD Shrink should work on a full version that incorporates ALL dvd authoring needs. At that point I would lay prone before his feet rythmically chanting his name.

Dudes,

Chester

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks