What's new

Recollections of first movie experiences.... (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I am now trying to find and collect dvds of movies I watched as a youngster in the 50's. My dad would take us to town, give us a quarter apiece, and put us out at the local theater. We would watch horror movies all afternoon for 15 cents, eat popcorn and drink cokes for 5 cents each.

Some of those old movies were The Spider, Kronos, Electric Man, Tingler, and a multitude of monsters that would ravage the earth...... How great it was!

I often reflect back to those times and remember that after a particularly scary afternoon, we wouldn't even go out to play when we got home!

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
For me that is the fun of the Home Theater experiance. I remember as a chld going to see Star Wars for the first time and coming away awestruck. It is one of my favorite memories as a child. Now I can pop it in the VCR and hearing the opening bars to the SW theme brings all of those memories right back. The same goes for the original Star Trek series on DVD. While Kirk is making his speech during the opening I can close my eyes and I will be a litle kid, sitting on my fathers lap, watching the show with him again.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I remember when I first when to movies. Initially it was with my family since I was only 8 years old. But, later on when I was in grade 7 we had every other Wednesday afternoon off because we started early every day.

My friends and I would take the bus all the way downtown and go to Capitol 6 cinemas to see movies. I can't even imagine letting my child go downtown alone on the bus now when their 11 or 12. How times have changed.

Patrick

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
That would have to be Ghostbusters and Labyrinth, with my Nana and/or Aunt. I definitely remember trying to convince my Nana to make me a Stay-Puft Marshmellow Man.
Both films I have on DVD and bought pretty quick when I got into DVD. :D

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Yup the summer of 1984. I was 10 years old and would take the bus to watch movies with friends or by myself. I remember Ghostbusters and Indiana Jones & the temple of doom. Tried for Beverly Hills Cop but they didn't believe me when I said I was 17. Go figure. In 1985 I remember seeing Explorers and Back to the future. Funny, I went to the theater back then more than I do now. The last movie I watched in the theater was in June of 1999 when the Matrix was playing.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
My first movie was Superman. I can still remember watching it as a child and just being in awe of the man of steel. I still to this day am in awe of that film.

Me and my dad used to watch movies all the time. A favorite was Aliens, we just loved that film to death and could watch it anytime.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Scott,

Your Star Wars reflections made me think of something funny........

When it was released in 1977, I was 28 but dating a young lady of 18. She was still kinda having to report to her parents where we were going etc..... Of course, we began using "going to the movies" as our excuse to go to my pad........ I didn't realize that my gf was using SW as the movie we were going to so much and one particular night, her mother made a comment that it must be good since we saw it at least 5 times!!!! I still laugh about that one...... and SW always reminds me...........

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I am now trying to find and collect dvds of movies I watched as a youngster in the 50's.
You do have to be a bit careful though. I bought Earthquake because I remember loving it as a kid when I saw it in the theater. Watched it, and it stunk to my current adult sensibilities. That's why I don't trust my memories of my youth to validate that I'll want to purchase a movie. If there's any question in my mind, I always rent it first to make sure.

I was reading this thread and I got to thinking about which movie would be the first I saw at a cinema.

Hmmm.

Four movies comes to mind immediately, E.T. being the oldest of the four. I remember how an almost completely full theatre was sobbing and crying about this rather silly movie (Please note that the latter remarks about the movie is me being 28), and I remember looking around at all these people who wasn't ashamed at crying in public. I was crying and I tried very hard to hide from everybody else.

The other three movies are Beverly Hills Cop (at my theatre ratings was then - and still are - not taken too seriously), Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom (remember very vividly my reactions and nightmares about the scene where the priests were eaten by crocodiles (or was that alligators, i don't know ... and really don't care) and finally Ghostbusters, which I remember because I was supposed to take care of my little brother who is three years my junior, and he got ill during the opening scenes, really ill, and all I did was to give him money for at phone-call, so that he could call our parents to come and pick him up. I didn't even wait with him outside the theatre. I know, I know ... SHAME ON ME! But I was watching a hilariously intertaining movie.

/Michael

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I remember the first movie I ever saw was Star Wars. My parents took my brother and myself to the drive-in to see it and the film broke when Obi-Wan and Vader were dueling on the Death Star. Ahhhhh......memories.

AaronP

Stunt Coordinator
the first movie I remember going to was The Empire Strikes Back. I remember that I fell asleep during the ATAT scene and woke up during the lightsaber battle!!!!!!

StephenA

Screenwriter
The first movie for me was Mad Max. My mom and dad brought me along to the drive-in when I was 2 or 3. I was sickly as a toddler, and car rides used to help me fall asleep. I ended up seeing some of Mad Max, but I really don't remember seeing it. The first movie I do remember seeing was E.T. I saw it with my mom one time, and my grandmother and cousin another.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I remember seeing Star Wars (and C;lose Encounters) in the theatres back in 1977 England and afterwards, I was so affected by this state of the art film tht I bought the paperbacks and read all of them. This is the movie that got me interested in movies, and later, home thetre. :)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I remember watching kung-fu movies and spaghetti westerns at the drive-in with my parents back in the early to mid seventies. The first movie I saw in a theater was Jaws back in 1975. Been going ever since.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I grew up in a strict Christian family so going to the movies was kind of a no no, however, I do remember when I was quite young my parents and my grandfather took me to a drive in theater where I got to see my first movie...it was Disney's "The Jungle Book" what a great time that was! I must have sang the bear necessities about 100 times that week. I was visiting with my aunt once and she took me (without my fathers knowledge) to the movie RockyIII I think it's III..it had Mr.T in it. I went out and bought the 45 single of "Eye of the tiger" lol!! The best part about seeing that movie is that I wasn't supposed to. My greatest movie going experience that still sticks out in my mind is going to see "The Dark Crystal" with my mom and grandfather (yes, without my fathers knowledge)I still love that movie and am happy that it is a part of my collection.Later on in years my father started taking my sister and I to see Disney movies like Beauty and the Beast etc etc, so there is always a soft spot in my heart for animated films. My parents have come a long way since those times and now my father comes over and we go to the movies at least once a week .... I only had to wait till I was in my 20's for him to come around heh.:D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The first time I saw a flick in a commercial theater was when my father took me with him to see No Time For Sergeants. It was on a showcase run, not first run. (You kids probably don't remember how films were distributed in those pre-video days. But there was first-run, then showcase run. Films would stay in release for years.)

BTW, I'm a boomer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks