Reciver Video Switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Daman, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

I have a Yamaha HTR5790 which im using with an Infocus 4850. At present im running my component cable directly from my Sony 5 disc dvd player to the projecter, but am missing out the OSD of Yamaha because of this. Was wondering whether i should route the video through the unit instead and use its upconverting capablity with S Video(for PS2) to component as well. I have heard that the direct connection from dvd is the best, how much would the quality be compromised if i use the reciever to route it instead? Also would the reciever improve the picture quality of S video if i route it through it to component?
    Thanks!
    Daman

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I can't speak about component video, but as to S-Video, I use to believe the same thing, hooking the t.v. directly to the t.v. would show a better picture. Well, I use my HK receiver S-VIDEO and I really don't see much of a difference in picture quality going through the receiver. OSD is really pretty cool feature and makes it much easier to deal with the settings on your receiver.

3. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

The Yamaha doesn't improve pic quality on S-vid or composite, it just outputs it to the component. I have the 5790 and run direct connections from my dvd player and hd cable box to the tv. I can see the front of my receiver clearly so I don't need the osd to see the volume, but I do have an s-vid cable run from the receiver to the tv on the "video 1" input so I can see the osd whenever I change receiver settings.

4. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Thanks for the replies guys, Eddie - so the yamaha doesnt improve the quality, but does it degrade it in any way? have you tried routing the componenet via the player and seeing any difference if you did?

5. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Not that I could tell. I just prefer to have a direct connection for everything. I had a friend of mine bring over a set of component cables that he had left over and tried routing my dvd player and ps2 through the receiver and it looked the same to me. The only 2 reasons that I connect everything directly are the fact that I don't want to buy an extra set of component cables, and my HD cable box is hooked to my tv via dvi. I'd still have to switch inputs on the tv, so I just went with the direct connection.

6. Daman

Daman Second Unit

I see.. thanks for your inputs Eddie, i guess ill give it a shot and see myself, i do have a friend who can lend me component cables so ill check it out. thanks again!