Reciver help please. (I'm new)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Petros_M, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Petros_M

Petros_M Auditioning

Hi guys, I want to put a theater system in my room the room is not big only 12 x 12 so I don't need anything booming but then again I don't want to buy junk. I am pretty set on one of these two recivers if possible can you guys tell me what you think about them or just some general advice would be helpfull, Thanks alot since I can't post links yet I'll post the model numbers and hopefully someone knows them.

Harman Kardon DPR 1001

Yamaha HTR-5650

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey Petros,

If you dont mind me asking what is your budget for a reciever? If your budget can afford it, I would like to suggest looking at the new Denon AVR-3805 that IMHO is far better and more flexible than the HK or Yamaha. HK makes a nice product and I have nothing against the Yamaha ether. If money is the issue and it boils down to the two choices I would pick the Yamaha hands down. I currently own a Yamaha RX-V995 myself and it does a great job. I hope this helps in some way and I hope you find something that does the job for you. And that is something you will enoy listening to.

3. Petros_M

Petros_M Auditioning

I was trying to stay at about 6-800, Thank you for your imput and all your help.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Petros,

The Yamaha HTR-5650 is a good receiver - I've had one on my shelf for about a week now. It's easy to use and would provide more than enough power for your setting.

However, I'd also recommend one of the newer Yamaha receivers that are just hitting the streets now. The HTR-5650 is getting retired quite soon from Yamaha and the newer ones feature some great options that were only present in the more expensive RX-V1400 and 2400 models.

One of the best options for setting up a new Yamaha receiver is the YPAO option where you place an included microphone in your listening area, then run the configuration utility. Keep in mind that the YPAO option is only available on the HTR-5760 and 5790 models and the RX-V650, 750, 1400, 2400 and their flagship model. The 5760 can be had for as low as $399 with free shipping if you check out J&R Music World. They don't have stock as of yet, but should quite soon.

5. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

The Yamaha RX-V1400 can be had for around $800 or less and for that price, it is an awesome receiver. If you're willing to up your budget, take a look at the Yamaha RX-V2400 or Denon 3805.

6. John.C

John.C Auditioning

Hi Petros,
    I bought the Denon 3805 2 weeks ago and I am taking it back to the store for a refund tomorrow. It is very good in some ways and not so good in others. I like my Pioneer Elite 45 better. If you can find an Elite 45 you should get it in the $700 range. The new Elite 53 is the current model with a few improvements and you can buy one for
    $700 to $800. I would not trade my Elite 45 for the new
    Denon 3805 which sells for $1100 to $1200.
    Anyway, I would suggest you seriously consider the Pioneer, I think it's the best buy out there.
    J.C in Texas

7. John.C

John.C Auditioning

Hi Petros,
    I bought the Denon 3805 2 weeks ago and I am taking it back to the store for a refund tomorrow. It is very good in some ways and not so good in others. I like my Pioneer Elite 45 better. If you can find an Elite 45 you should get it in the $700 range. The new Elite 53 is the current model with a few improvements and you can buy one for
    $700 to $800. I would not trade my Elite 45 for the new
    Denon 3805 which sells for $1100 to $1200.
    Anyway, I would suggest you seriously consider the Pioneer, I think it's the best buy out there.
    J.C in Texas