Recievers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Odegard, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Matt Odegard

Matt Odegard Stunt Coordinator

OK, I talked about getting a Pioneer Elite 45tx in front of a friend and a roommate of his who believes that Elites are definitely not the 'cream of the crop' or 'compare to Denon or Yamaha' as he has a Yamaha reciever. To begin with I haven't purchased or auditioned a amp as of yet so my opinions are completly unbiased. I'm asking you all before totally sticking my head out on the line for Pioneer is; are their riecevers worth the 'Elite' name? He seams to say no.
    Even with THX certification. He says that doesn't seem to matter as no DVD's are in THX, atleast very few of them are.
    Since I'm new to this forum I was wondering if any of you could help me argue this discussion. Not argue that Pioneer 'Elite' products are superior but at least that the 'Elite' give a good run for the money and performance of other manufacturers such as Yamahah, Denon and H&K receivers as he says.
    I'm not lookng for the "Pioneer 'Elite' is superior in every way". But, looking for a response that they are a worthy opponent of denon, Yamaha, hardon Kardon or any other reciever you throw at them for the same price range, no matter what price range they fall under.
    Am I fighting a loosing battle here? Or are my recommendations falling on deaf ears like recommending Bose to be a good speaker in its price range? and is 'Elite' just a name like Bose that marketing takes care of and screw the quality?

2. Matt Odegard

What really bugs me about this guy is he seems adamant that anything other than 'Pioneer "Elite"' is better than anything. I definately know Pioneer "Elite" isn't the "Top" end but. BUT, for the same price as others in their line. They are definately good recievers.
    It just bugs me that arguing 'Pioneer "Elite" is good, is just like arguing Paradigm speakers is better than Bose speakers are to a person who knows nothing but advertisements and the marketing of Bose.
    I'm not trying to be biased, I want real opinion's. I will be showing him this thread. So even if you don't like the "Elite" Reciever at least give them credit for being a good line of recievers, DVD players and what not.
    Of course I am looking to buy a 45tx so ;p

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

No DVDs are in THX??

Akira
    Alien
    The Bond Series
    Die Hard 1/2/3
    Evil Dead 1/2
    Fantasia
    Fight Club
    French Connection
    Grease
    Highlander (new version)
    Independence Day
    Moulin Rouge

ETC. ETC.

4. Matt Odegard

Yeah, I know Iknow. Is their anything else the THX certification is good for? I mean does it make it a better amp/reciever than a reciever of the same price and no THX certification? Forgive me, I have fallen out of circulation in HT and am finally getting in the know lately.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Actually, the Pioneer Elite 49Tx is one of the best rated integrated mass market receivers in stores right now, AFAIK. I have heard it, and I was quite impressed with it. I cannot say the same for the 41Tx (811s)

6. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

I love the Pioneer Elite line of receivers. I take the 45tx over anything in its price range at the moment. The comparable Denon and Yamaha are good receivers in their own right, but if I had the $1500, it be going straight for the 45tx.

Disagreeing with John said, I like the whole line. The 41 is a fine receiver, its just that the 811 is practically the same thing and sells for $200 less.

7. Matt Odegard

Thats what I think to. I know that Yamaha and Denon have good if not great recievers and products. I don't know, I've read alot of reviews and threads in this forum and others for all the recievers in the $1000-1500 price range and the Elite just seems to be the pick of the litter. I guess it just depends on what your ears like but so far mine like the Elite over anything. MCACC is just an added bonus for me.

He also thought that Sony ES is shitty also. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that. But, I agree that many of Sony's products are just overpriced and overated.

8. Nick Cerretti

I've never heard the ES line, but I've heard many good things about them.

I think one thing to note is that once you get into this price range, there really isn't much difference in receivers. Features are mostly the same for the most part, and I think the speakers you have (or will get) is going to improve your sound than anything els.e

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

10. Matt Odegard

Yeah their $1100 at my local audio shop but $800 after my buddy gives me a discount[​IMG]

11. Nick Cerretti

[​IMG]! Its a lot cheaper than I thought. But, I imagine the online prices are so cheap because they are from unauthorized dealers.

12. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I don't want to soudn too mean, but maybe you should go out and actually listen to the receivers before you come and post to talk about who is good and who isn't. Think about it...
    -ELmO[​IMG]

13. Nick Cerretti

Who exactly are you talking to?

I've listened to every receiver mentioned in this thread (with the exception of Sony ES) and said IMO I'd take the 45tx.

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but what exactly is your problem?

14. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I'm not talking to you. And in this case I will sound sort of mean and I don't really mind. I'm talking to the original poster, read his post. He hasn't listened to any of the amps. You know, the soudn you get out of receivers can be based on other opinions, but you should weigh more of YOUR opinion on it. It's like a movie, video game, or anything. Your opinion on it counts the most, not what others think. He said he hasn't listened to any of them yet!
    -ELmO

15. Matt Odegard

No I haven't aiditioned the 45tx yet. But I have listened to his Yamaha and another buddy H&K. But neither of them have good quality speakers to make a judgement for their recievers.

I'm askin a question about the brand not how they sound. My friend said that Pioneer Elite is a terrible unit and that I should look at Dennon, Yamaha and H&K. He hasn't heard the reciever I want buy, so he is just ignorant and biased for some reason.

All I wanted answered hear is. Ar Pioneer Elite recievers,DVD players and TV's a good quality product for the competition in their price range? THAT is all I asked. I don't feel I need to go and listen to it right this minute to know its a good product. I own several DVD players from the Elite line(DV-C36, DV-37, DV45A) all of which I am totally happy with and very impressed by. Although DV45A's picture could be a little cleaner in my opinion.

If you read my question the first one. I'm just asking if their just as good a product as their competition. I believe they are.

16. Matt Odegard

If it makes a difference I didn't bring up that I''m looking at a 45tx. I was asked if I was looking into a HT. I said yeah, I'm looking at getting a Pioneer Elite. He went into a rant about them(how they suck and are just as bad as ES) and about how THX certification only works with THX DVD's. So I thought I'd ask this question.

17. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

The Denon, HK, and Elites are all good machines. They have quite a few differences in features. Check ot Tom Bombadil's post on receivers less than $1000 over on AVSForum.

I think it comes down to what your preference in features are. For me the 45 TX competes very well with all those mentioned aboe. I've had HK and Onkyo in my home with the Pioneer and it came down to features. I've also extensively listened to the 3802.

Now the 3803 Onkyo 900 and the HK 525 both are just coming out and I'd give them a good look before buying the 45. I love my 45 but these weren't availible when I was buying.

As for Yamaha, in fairness I haven't listened to it. But, being a trumpet player I can't stand their horns and I prefer Honda over Yamaha for my dirt bikes. Now some people swear by Yamadog. Not me.

BTW, IMHO, THX certification does mean something. I do really like it on the 45.

So, I'll never be a Yamaha fan but don't let that stop YOU from looking! I wouldn't even look sideways at them.

Good Luck.

Mike

18. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

At the end of the day, its all about people's opinion. Every brand name will have its own house sound and some people just won't like it.

The standard Pioneer brand is pretty run-of-the-mill. Not that its crap, didn't say that - but its nothing special either. Rather utilitarian, designed to achieve a rated specification and no more. The Elite range allows Pioneer to stretch themselves a bit and offer something a bit more special.

Basically I think the Elite brand is good value. It is expensive, but it sounds a heck of a lot better than the regular line, so give it a listen.

Do consider another option, however. At the price level of those top Elite receivers, you are in seperates territory. Unless there are specific considerations - for example, space - consider looking at a pre/pro/power combination. There are some wonderful things to be found that I think could definitely outperform the all-in-one of any top-flight receiver.

/Jeff

19. Matt Odegard

20. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Pre-amplifier/processor and separate (thus the term separates) amplification.

I more or less agree with that statement, that at the price point of the 49Tx/Txi, you are in separates territory and will end up with a bit more flexibility and quality with these types of components. We are talking about ~$3500-4000 range here though.