recievers worth the risk

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dave Shepard, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard Agent

In my last post I had stated I was given these prices for these pieces NIB, B&K507 $1495, Denon5803 $2895, Sherbourn PT7000 W/7-2100amp $2495. I dont know if he is an authorized dealer but being NIB not B-stock or referb. is the savings worth the risk?

Thanks

Dave

2. Jason_Paik

Jason_Paik Extra

I didn't read your last post.

Some manufacturers clearly state that their products must be purchased from authorized vendors or warranties won't be honoured, etc, etc. Whether this type of disclaimer has been tested in civil litigation is not known to me. If you wish to reduce risk down the road, then do yourself a favour and at the very least get pricing on the models of interest from an authorized ship in your area. This will give you a comparison on cost: the other variables are customer service and after-market care, building relationships, etc. This may not be important to you, but it's a thought.

J.

3. Don Barduca

Don Barduca Stunt Coordinator

You'll find some people willing to take on a risk like that, but I am definitely not one of them. I have heard, AND BEEN WITNESS TO, too many problems with buying big money purchases over the web. I would only buy from an authorized dealer when you are talking >$1000.

Don

4. JackLonn

JackLonn Agent

I'd urge caution and stick to a vendor that has lots of positive reviews. I recently went round and round trying to decide on which vendor to buy some new equipment from. At last I made my decision. I called the vendor, 'cause I wanted to TALK to someone before I gave out my credit card number, and was I ever glad I did. The answer I recieved was "What do you want" as in "why are you bothering me?" Afer I told the guy that I was interested in speakers he was ready to go, until I asked "Are they in stock?". His final answer sealed the deal for me "I think so, but I'm not sure". I went to my local dealer, got good answers and a real warranty. My point, be careful. I've bought plenty of stuff on the net, but I always went with my gut. If the person you talk to sounds the least bit flaky, I'd walk.