What's new

Recievers-Pricing and where to purchase (1 Viewer)

Sean_J

Agent
Hello;
I was wondering can anyone recommend any stores that sell descent and good quality service and recievers? If so please tell me it would really help.
Second; I am willing to spend no more than $250 for a reciever- What reciever would you recommend? I want a reciever that includes Midnight and presets like THEATER and HALL (I think it is called DSP mode?). So those are the two features I want. And in addition I really don't care about the wattage. 100 watts is just fine with me; but 200 would be nice. But if 200 costs over my budget of 250 I will just stick to the 100 watt.
Please help - any help is greatly appriciated - and have a great day!;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sean, you need to take wattage rating with a grain of salt on most receivers, especially with $250 models. For one thing, you need to see how the power is reported. It should be reported as xW per channel continuous power into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with all channels driven. Some manufacturers flatter their power ratings by citing into 6 ohms, at 1 kHz, maximum power for just one channel, etc. Finally, even if the power is reported under the correct conditions, it may not be representative of the true power output. Many receivers measure lower on the test bench. Some measure higher. In the end, don't let a manufacturer's power rating completely dictate your purchase, especially when purchasing a budget receiver.
Something to look for in a receiver is a low total harmonic distortion (THD) rating. Generally speaking, a receiver should have a THD of

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks