Reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Tenniswood, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

You have 300-350US. You need to buy a reciever. What do you buy? WHAT DO YOU BUY!!?

-Rob

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    A couple of months ago I bought an Onkyo TXSR500 from Circuit City for $299 and I'm very satisfied with it. It sounds great, has plenty of power, and all of the bells and whistles that I was looking for (DTS, Pro Logic II, S Video switching, plenty of digital ins, etc...)

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'd look at the Pioneer VSX-D811S. It has DPLII, Neo6, DTS-ES, DD-EX, 100Wx6, Dual Rear Surround support for 7.1 setup, s-video and component video switching, 7.1 analog inputs, pre-outs for all channels, and is an all around solid receiver. It can be found on yahoo shopping as low as $298 after shipping. It's $400 at best buy. I have it and am extremely happy w/ it.

4. KirkA

KirkA Agent

You can find quite a few good posts on this if you do some searches. I know because I've been making the same decision the last couple weeks. Some models to look at:
    Denon 1802
    HK 125
    Onkyo 500
    Yamaha 5560 (630)
    I've pretty much decided on the Yammy because I've had good experiences with them in the past and I like the "bright" sound. I'm going to run it with JBL NSP1 speakers.
    It seems like most of the guys who know what they're talking about like the Denon or Onkyo over the Yamaha. I just like to be differant I guess....[​IMG]

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I would go with the Pioneer VSX-D811S as well.

6. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Denon 1802

7. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I bought a Yamaha 5550 at Best Buy with a coupon (retail $399 USD.) It sits in my bedroom setup and sounds and works great!