Reciever: Yamaha or Kenwood?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Harvey, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Greg Harvey

Greg Harvey Extra

I am in the market for a low-end receiver, most likely the Yamaha RX-V420 or the Kenwood vr-507. I am wondering what you experts would recommend based on knowledge of what kind of products these companies put forth usually and/or personal experience. To my understanding the Yamahas are said to perform better and many have refered to the Kenwoods as "Krapwoods", so this leans me towards the Yammy. However the Yammy doesn't have DPL-2 and the Kenwood is full of extra inputs as well. The Yamaha has 26 DSP modes, but are any of these as good as DPL-2? Any help is greatly appreciated...

2. DarrellP

DarrellP Stunt Coordinator

Don't know how low you are going, but I picked up a Yamaha HTR-5280 at Video Only for $570 and it is awesome. For $499 also consider the Outlaw 1050.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i would probably go with the yamaha over the kenwood. also, consider denon, onkyo and outlaw. kenwoods are decent machines, but i (personally) just don't feel they perform as well.
    i wouldn't factor in all the dsp modes that the yamaha has either. most of those sound like crap anyway and i doubt very many people actually use them.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

4. Evan A

Evan A Stunt Coordinator

kenwood
    ------------------
    --------------------
    Evan Adams
    [email protected]
    --------------------

5. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

I like the amp section in the Yamaha model better, but I would have to agree that the Kenwood has more useful features.

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Greg,
    Where in Canada are you located? Personally I would go with the Yamaha. Taking a look at the spec shows me that it is using the same Processor of its older cousin the RX-V800, which is a good thing. The AMP of the Yamaha will be better than the Kenwood, especially at increased volume level. Feature wise if you are only using it for HT then you only need DD/DTS. The Hookups at the back are there for DVD, CD, LD, etc. You may also want too look into the Denon 1601/1801 which can be had for $500-650CDN.
    Kevin

7. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Given the choices between those two, hands down Yamaha. But also in your price range is the Onkyo TX-DS494. The Denon AVR-1602 maybe another viable option and both of those units have DPL 2 (which, btw, is not a dsp mode).

8. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

If you have 4 Ohm speakers you may want to go with the Kenwood. my best friend was unable to run a set of DefTechs with the yammy. It overheated even under a light load. He took it back and picked up a Kenwood and has had no more problems.
    I have the 4090 myself and love it. It makes my B&W's sing but the only real way to decide is taking them home and listening to them. The sound is subjective and each receiver will interact with your speakers differently.
    ------------------
    The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

9. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm no expert, BUT I did purchase the Kenwood VR-507. It is a wonderful piece of equipment. I chose Kenwood after much research and am very happy with it. It does a lot!
    ------------------
    "I've got to get me one of them DVD rewinders!"

10. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Greg, I owned a Kenwood VR-309 DD/DTS receiver for two years and recently upgraded to the VR-507 because I wanted DPL II....not to mention that I just wanted a new toy. [​IMG]
    Also, I got $175 for the VR-309 so this upgrade only cost me $125!
    Please do yourself a favor and audition the Kenwood if you can.....I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Good luck!
    ------------------

11. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

I would go with Yamaha.

12. Greg Harvey

Greg Harvey Extra

Wow, this post exploded since I last saw it. Kevin, I live in St. Catharines FYI. I don't believe I will need the extra S-Videos of the vr-507, but DPL2 would be very nice to use when watching Directv. I am pretty sure the amp of the Yammy would be better since the prices are the same for a seemingly less-featured reciever. I will be pairing the receiver with Paradigm Phantoms, micros and the cc-70. Basically, I think this all comes down to DPL2...will it be of much greater use to me over Yamaha's other DSP modes?

13. Greg Harvey

Greg Harvey Extra

Had to add this, I have considered the Onkyo 494 as well, however the place I will be buying from does not sell them and they are the only retailers in St. Catarines of Paradigm speakers which are a must since I live in Canada.

14. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Greg,
    Reason I ask was so I could inform you where to shop. Since you are in ST.Catherines you may want to make a run upto Hamilton and checkout EastHamilton Radio. Excellent selection with some decent prices. Other places are Hills and Fairview Hifi. How much do you have to spend?
    Kevin

15. DaveThomas

DaveThomas Extra

"If you have 4 Ohm speakers you may want to go with the Kenwood. my best friend was unable to run a set of DefTechs with the yammy. It overheated even under a light load. He took it back and picked up a Kenwood and has had no more problems."
    I have the HTR-5280 hooked up to DefTech speakers with no problems, the unit hardly warms up even after watching movies at loud volumes. I have BP8's for mains and some old bookshelf speakers for surrounds, all set to large.
    As for choosing between them, best way to decide is to listen to both and make up your mind based on how they sound to you. I really doubt if the quality of the amp sections would be drastically different between any of the models in that price range (Kenwood 507, Onkyo 494/595, or the Yamaha). I listened to many different brands before deciding on the 5280 and all sounded very good, I just preferred the Yamaha slightly. If you choose Yamaha, I'd go with the Yamaha 520 over the 420 if you could, the amp section and DACs are better quality.

16. Mark Jany

Mark Jany Auditioning

As a fellow St. Kitt's resident I had similar decisions last year. I have Paradigm's from Gibby's - 4 Atoms, CC170 and PDR-10, and Kenwood VR-410 from Future shop. The Kenwood has been good, with a very good learning remote which is extremely useful for me - I can drive my DVD, Expressvu, VCR, TV etc. all with it. My recollection was the Yamaha remotes were pretty average. People have considered Yamaha and Paradigms together to be "too bright" for what that's worth. I don't listen at immense volumes but no problems with what seem grossly to be "movie theater loud" levels. The inputs on the Kenwood at that time exceeded anything else in the price range.
    Just my 2 cents
    Mark

17. Greg Harvey

Greg Harvey Extra

I am not looking to spend over $1500 CAN. The guys at Gibbys, where I just bought a 36AFX61 Toshiba [​IMG], have been pushing for the fact that the yahamas watts per channel is pure or something, unlike the rest of the field. Not sure what they meant but I don't believe it really makes much of a difference... BTW would you guys go with $225 Titans or $400 Phantoms? Also, does East Hamilton Radio (or anywhere else) deal Onykos?
    [Edited last by Greg Harvey on August 25, 2001 at 09:05 AM]

18. Kirk_W

Kirk_W Auditioning

I run Def Tech BP 2002 mains, C/L/R 2500 center channel, with my HTR-5280 Yamaha, and have no problems 'till I crank it up and make my wife mad...then I have problems [​IMG]
    KW

19. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with the Kenwood, mainly because I'm familiar with the line. In fact, I'd probably go with the VR-509, a receiver I've had the pleasure of playing around with. I love the RF remote; don't ask me why.
    ------------------
    Norm Strong ([email protected])