What's new

reciever wattage (1 Viewer)

jeff garver

Auditioning
I have Paridigm Monitor 7 speakers and I am looking at the Onkyo 502 reciever. It is only 75 watts, is this powerfull enough to work the speakers?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Depends on how large your room is and how loud you intend to listen. If you are looking for loud, undistorted sound in a medium to large size room, that receiver will be pushing it's limits.

My opinion would be no. I had the Onkyo 501 powering a pair of RTI 10s and was not impressed by the Onkyo's power (very compressed sound and clipping at relatvily low levels). I now have a Denon 3805 powering the same pair of speakers and the difference is absolutly unreal. Honestly I didn't expect the huge jump in dynamics and power that the 3805 put out over the 501. Of course it's really not a fair comparison considering I bought the 501 for $187 and the 3805 for $900.00. Still, you have very nice speakers and I can't help but think about how much you will miss out on not having a better amp/reciever. Try looking for a refurbed HK, Denon, or Marantz in your price range. Each of these companies make great products so buy the one that gives you the most possible power you can afford.

Don't go strictly by advertised watts however, cause as I am sure you know HK and Marantz are known for their conservative ratings

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks