What's new

reciever vs. seperates (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
dave,

1. HDMI 1.0 already supported 1080p, but it's the electronic manufacturers that did not build the 1080p support, it's not HDMI's fault, blame mfr's like rca for not outputting 1080p from their HD-DVD player. i believe most HDMI switching receives should be able to switch 1080p now but you'll need both a source that outputs 1080p like samsung's BR player and a HDTV that accepts 1080p over HDMI.

don't take my word for it:
http://hdmi.org/about/faq.asp#q6_3

i think if nikko shops around used places like ebay or places like this:
http://www.spearitsound.com/specials.htm
^there are premaps for 300-500ish. i think if he gets a temp. preamp taht does DD&DTS he should be able to hoold himself off until next year =).

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello JediFonger,

Thanks for the information I see that I was incorrect. Thanks for the link it was very helpfull. I was checking the site out but I did not see anything about Dolby True HD or DTS-HD being compatible. I emaild HDMI so I am hoping to hear from them. I am concerned that I will not be able to output the new surround formats to a newer reciever later on down the road. Once new receivers are available at our local retailers.

I still will wait to buy a reciever because I want to have DD+, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD. So far I am leaning towards a Denon but am also going to check out Rotel and Adcom.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i think a lot of HT enthusiasts are all in the same boat, saving $ for a HD-DVD/BluRay player that outputs "true" 1080p as well as TrueHD, DTS-HD and hopefully SACD&DVD-Audio. 1 cable does it all =).

Nikko

Agent
Real Name
Nikko Shelton
Thanks guys. As it turns out we had some chiropractor and car bills that are temporarily prohibiting any purchasing at this point anyways, so I'll definitely wait. I'll probably just deal with my sony receiver until the upgrade to separates. But after spending some more time looking around I am going to go with separates, just not sure which ones quite yet. And I'm getting a new tv as well (currently using a 20 year old 27" zenith crt that's going out). I am going to get new a 50" DLP, I think samsung brand. It should come with all the new stuff for HDMI right? It's a 1080p display and all.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Nikko,

Make sure its a true 1080p HDTV and not a 1080p upconverting model. That takes 1080i and upconverts to 1080p. And I would make sure it actually has the new HDMI v1.3 as those standards where just approved recently. While you may get a great picture with 1080i upconverted to 1080p. Why not just buy a pure 1080p HDTV to start off with. This is the reason why I decided to put of a purchase of a so called 1080p set last year. It was between a Mitsubishi and a Samsung and both upconverted media to 1080p. So I would ask alot of questions and view that model as much as possible before pulling the trigger. If the Samsung is a true 1080p display, has HDMI 1.3 and no issues. I would say go for it :emoji_thumbsup: the Samsungs have a very nice picture.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I doubt any of the displays will have HDMI 1.3 this year. Furthermore, I'm still questioning how much HDMI 1.3 will affect the video portion of the presentation which will allow us to see an observable difference in the picture quality in the immediate future. IMO, the biggest improvement with HDMI 1.3 will be on the audio portion of HD material.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yeah, HDMI 1.3 displays means 48-bit color is possible... that means the lines between HDTV&PC displays will blur quite rapidly.

from the FAQ:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Possible is one thing, but when will software be available? Not in 2006 and 2007 might even be a stretch for 48-bit color. When I buy my next display 4 years from now then I'll worry about deep color.

Crawdaddy

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i've been reading about some of the 8bit LCD panels, if we're only @8-bit... how can we achieve 48-bit? seems faraway.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Most currently available displays are 8 bits per sample-- 8 bits for Red, 8 bits for Blue, 8 bits for Green--for a total of 24 bits per pixel.

48 bit displays use 16 bits for each sample (16 for red, 16 blue, 16 green, etc).

Nikko

Agent
Real Name
Nikko Shelton
okay, here it is. It says it has both HDMI inputs and 1080p resolution. It doesn't say it has v1.3, so I will assume it doesn't. It appears to have most everything else. http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...Detail.do#tabs

And question, I have heard that every few years you need to replace the light inside of projection tv's, which cost from $200-$250. So would it actually be cheaper in the long run to purchase a flat panel LCD or plasma which doesn't have any continual costs?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
ah ok. thx jeremy. been a long while since i brushed up on rgb, cmyk and all that photoshop stuff =).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks