Reciever Turns Off During Loud Volumes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Cybulska, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Andrew Cybulska

I own the Kenwood VR-507 and recently, I've noticed that loud volumes make my receiver turn off. Well... Not off per say... But the "Standby" light above the power button starts blinking and no sounds comes out of the speakers until I turn the receiver off then on. I was able to play Fight Club Plane Crash scene at about -25db (or until my neighbors complained heheehehe) and I recently tried to play the opening scene in Memento at full blast and it just shut off. And during the loud crack of thunder while watching O Brother, Where Art Thou? in DTS. Ack! It's driving me nuts!
    Help! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. Wake up!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.
    So face forward, with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... Are you ready to go?

2. Ian R

Ian R Agent

Andrew,
    I used to have the same problem with my Yamaha 5150. Someone told me to check the wiring connections. That was it. If any bare wire touches metal, or other bare wire, it'll shut the unit off. When the volume is loud,the unit may vibrate more causing the wires to touch.
    No guarantees, but that's what worked for me.
    Ian R

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

The above may turn out to be the case, but if not, you should check to make sure your speakers are compatible with your receiver.
    Most Kenwood receivers are rated for 6 ohm speakers. If you happen to be running 4 ohm speakers (or lower), the impedance level is dropping too low for your receiver to handle at high volumes.
    If you let this go for too long, you'll be taking that receiver in for a service call down the road a bit.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think there's two possibilities here:
    1. overpowering the amp - since this (apprantly) only happens at loud volumes, you're probably making the amp work too hard and it's shutting off to protect itself
    2. overheating - again, related to the loudness issue. perhaps your receiver has some sort of thermal switch?[/list=a]

my .02

------------------
      You step in the stream,
      But the water has moved on.
      This page is not here.

5. Andrew Cybulska

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the wiring today.
    Also, for the people who said that the speakers might not be compatible, I bought this thing as a whole package HTIB (I know... I know...).
    ------------------
    Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. Wake up!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.
    So face forward, with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... Are you ready to go?

6. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Interesting,
    I have the same problem (I thought I was the only one). I have a Kenwood (I am not sure which model but it was the best one in 1997-1998 with Dolby Pro-Logic and a very high power rating (??600 watts??)).
    When I also run the amp during a DVD or even music It turns it self off during loud scenes (Matrix in the loby scene). This happens when the amp is above the -42db mark. I thought of the same things... I checked all my speaker connections and they were perfect. I thought maybe it was just the center channel and/or the rears (polk Audio and I think they are rated t 4ohm). So I tried the same movie scenes with just 2 channel stereo (Def. Technologies 2000 series). Same thing the amp simply turns off and the standby light flashes. The def Tech. are very sensitive speakers.
    The last thing that I could consider is that my home has very poor electrical. I will purchase a line-conditioner for the amp.
    If the speakers are not the correct Ohm rating, then what solutions can we try to fix this problem? Any suggestions would be great. The next step will be to replace the stereo.
    ------------------

7. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Well if you're running the HTB set, I'd say that it shouldn't be the speakers.....of course I've never checked the impedance rating on the Kenwood set, but if they put mismatched speakers in the set......well, what can you say?
    I'd say that you should check the first suggestion and the speaker cables. Make sure there are no loose strands touching any metal (or another cable).

8. Andrew Cybulska

Nope. No lose wiring or anything. [​IMG]
    ------------------

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

If you are useing the original speakers that came with the unit and have checked all wireing and connections,~~ more than likely you are pushing the receiver just to hard!
    Might be causeing it to over heat, (is your receiver getting enough air?) ~~ or it's unable to handel the current demands your trying to put on it. Volume knob, hello. Both will cause the protection circuit to come into play and shut the unit down.
    =======
    Good golly it must sound just great when pushed that hard!
    =======
    Im sure there might just be a little audible distortion there somewhere....
    Ouch - says your Kenwood [​IMG]
    Back off the gas a little, and all should be well.
    Geoff

10. Andrew Cybulska

But... But... I wanna blast it!! Oh well... I guess I'll have to deal until I move out and get a job so I can buy a good set-up.
    ------------------

11. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

The receivers in this range aren't meant to be pushed that hard for any length of time or they will shut down to protect themselves, and you from having to buy another receiver. Much past 11:00 position on the volume control will send it into protect mode.
    Russ

12. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The Matrix lobby scene is famous for over-heating receivers.
    Try this: Tell your receiver that all your speakers are SMALL. Have it route all the low-frequency sounds to the self-powered sub.
    The several minutes of low-frequency sounds will draw a lot of current if the sounds go to a speaker defined as LARGE. This causes heat which throws the receivers into PROTECT mode.

13. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

I agree that setting the speakers to small will help.I don't know the specs of your equipment, but I used to have 4 ohm speakers with my Denon avr 3300, and that Matrix lobby scene, specificly the crack when Neo hits the guard at the metal detector, would shut my receiver down. At the time, my receiver was new, so I exchanged it for a new one, and still had the same problem. Setting the mains to small removes the high power drawing, low frequency sounds from the mains and sends them to the sub, where it's amp is much better equipped to handle this.