Reciever to compliment Athena Point 5

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David Strozier, Mar 12, 2004.

1. David Strozier

Below is my current setup, if anyone remembers back in Dec I got rid of the BOSE [​IMG] and purchased the Athena Point 5 System. Well since I have been loving every but of the system but now I need a new reciever! I need opinions and/or advice on which bradn to go with. I know some poeple have told me about a reciever being warm and bright [​IMG] So give me some advice on a good matching reciever [​IMG] I have HK, Pioneer Elite, Marantz, and NAD in mind. Also I would like to stay with a $500 budget.

Toshiba 50H82
    Panasonic RP62
    Technics SA-DX930 (has to go [​IMG] )
    Athena Point 5
    Hughes HIRD-E86

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Let your ears be the judge. All of the manufacturers you posted make excellent products. In that price range, I can tell you that the Marantzes will all be 6.1. All of the Pioneer Elite receivers are 7.1 (discount the VSX-41TX as an Elite, it's just a glorified 812). H/K will be 6.1 if you go with the 230, 7.1 with the 330...

There are differences, look at inputs, number of channels, whatever else you need. Styling may be imporant to you as well. Wattage is relatively unimportant. It's a guideline, but since everyone measures it differently, it's not very useful for comparison. Instead, let your ears be the judge. Do an in-home audition. You'll know you have the ideal product when you "click" with it.

3. David Strozier

Well I have decided on one of these three so far:
    - H/K AVR330
    - Denon AVR 1804
    - Marantz SR-5400
    So far I relly like the silver finish on the H/K, I mean it will look good with my other components. But when it comes to features the Denon looks to be the best buy. Does anyone have any opinions or "real" time spent with any of these units? Thanks

Dave

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Dave,

What are the features that the Denon has that the others don't?

5. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

I would not discount last year's H/K AVR 325 either as it can be had for a great price these days.