Reciever, Speakers, and DVD Player Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Cybulska, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Andrew_Cybulska

Andrew_Cybulska Auditioning

Okay, so he's the whole story.
    Here's my setup yesterday:
    I had the DVD Player hooked up with the Yellow, White, and Red (From now on, 'YWR') to the reciever. The speakers are all hooked up to the reciever. But I still have a cable box, and VCR, and the TV not hooked up to the reciever.
    The TV is hooked up to the VCR Analog OUT, the VCR is hooked from the VCR IN to the Cable OUT, and Cable IN is hooked up to the wall.
    My parents still want the VCR in.
    Now, how would I go about hooking up my TV to my reciever? S-Video to TV, S-Video to cable box, YWR to VCR?
    Or should I buy a couple of S-Video wires and hook everything with S-Video?
    Note: The VCR doesn't have S-Video, only a Yellow and a White connection and an analog connection.
    Does any of this make sense to you?
    This morning:
    Okay, I bought some YWR Gold plated wires. I have my monitor hooked up to the Monitor OUT for the video wire, and the Monitor Rec IN for the two Red and White wires.
    The DVD Player is hooked up to the Video 1 IN. Now, I get audio. But not Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS. I get something called CS 5.1, which I think is matrixed from the two front sources to all 5.1 speakers.
    I've tried switching through all the listen modes and all those things, and the manual doesn't help me one bit. It says it should detect the DTS and/or Dolby Digital track automatically.
    Now:
    The people at DVD-Talk recommended I hook an optical cable to the reciever and the S-Video from the DVD player to the TV. So I did, and now I got DTS and Dolby to work, but it says Downmix when I play DTS, and it only plays on the front right, front left, and sub-woofer when I play in Dolby Digital 5.1. What's up with that? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have a Kenwood VR-507 Audio/Video Receiver and a Sumsung 711 DVD Player.
    ------------------
    Because Nothing Is As Perfect As You Imagine It
    [Edited last by Andrew_Cybulska on July 17, 2001 at 08:32 PM]

2. Andrew_Cybulska

Andrew_Cybulska Auditioning

Never mind... Figured it out. I had to set Bitstream output in the DVD player menu. DUH!!! [​IMG] Just watched American Beauty in DTS... It was beautiful.
    ------------------
    Because Nothing Is As Perfect As You Imagine It