What's new

Reciever shuts off at loud volume/scene (1 Viewer)

BlakeBr

Auditioning
Hey guys, I need some help and I know some of you very knowledgeble ppl can help me!
First, I am in an apartment and here is my setup (that is pertinent):
Toshiba 52HM84 DLP RPTV
Denon AVR 3200 A/V Reciever
Energy Take 5 speakers w/ Energy self powered sub

I just got the hdtv (love it!) and am experiencing something I have not had a problem with in some time (have been living at this apartment complex for a little over a year)...when I am watching a dvd, my denon reciever will shut itself off into standby-mode with the lower led blinking, causing me to have to manually power off the reciever and then power it back on. Wait a while and it will repeat itlself. I am thinking its either a problem with my reciever or just with the power, and I am thinking its a problem with power as I live in a relatively old and cheap apartment complex with bad wiring....I tend to notice that it occurs more frequently with higher volume and with the sub on...should I spring a lot of money into something like a monster AVS 2000 or monster HTS5100? Beyond making DVDs unwatchable at close to reference levels, I do not want to ruin my investments.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hank VT

Agent
Check your wiring for shorts on the receiver and speakers.

Check the temperature of the unit when it shuts down.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Look seriously into how well ventalated the Denon AVR is.

I have seen power problems cause this too though. Can you temporarily hook it up to another circuit and see if it is any better about it.

How do you have your speakers setup? all small? Usually this will help the AVR greatly, but if you run your sub on the same circuit, this can actually reveal the power problems. As subs typically really pull the power when it is demanded of them.

BlakeBr

Auditioning
Heat shouldn't be an issue, as the denon is on an open air A/V rack.... interesting about the sub being on a different circuit...I should plug it into a surge protector on a different wall outlet?

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same problem. Mine was due to ventiliation.
However, I made sure the problem was permanently solved with external amplication.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'd actually run an extension cord (A good sized one) to the AVR maybe even from a different room, where you know the current draw isn't that much, you can usually look at your breaker / fuse box to get a better idea of what is really on a different circuit.

BlakeBr

Auditioning
here's a pic to my A/V rack (kinda messy right now heh)...a hakker.org/~peck/RECsmall.jpg .... as you can see, plenty of ventilation, atleast I think so.

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
I had this problemall the time with my AVR, and my car amp, it was always a speaker wire short. I would check them real good.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Blake

I had the same issue with my Denon 3300 when I first hooked it up. I started checking the speaker connections on the back of the RX and found that one of the speaker connections was loose. I tightened the connection and had not had a problem since.

Paul

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Yep, as these guys said checked the speaker connections.

The other possibility is a blown driver, go around to each speaker and listen to the individual woofers and tweeters and make sure they all work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks