What's new

Reciever recommendations needed (1 Viewer)

Sean_J

Agent
`Hello---
I was considering purchasing a reciever... I need suggestions for which reciever I should buy (RCA...?etc..)

I want a reciever thats under $200 and has
-DTS
=AND DTS ES
-Dolby Digital
-MORE than 150 watts
- IF Possible a remote.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Sean,
I think at this budget the Panny receivers may be your best bet for their features. I believe that speakers are the most important factor when it comes to the sound that you will get out of receivers anyway- but especially at this price point. I would look for a unit that has the lowest distortion specs so that if you play at high volume you will decrease your chances of damaging your speakers due to clipping. The watt issue by the way is one that I would not worry about too much unless your speakers are really that difficult to drive- this is not usually the case though. There is not really that much of a difference in watts as you may think- see the HTF primer for more on this. Another option is looking at a used unit or even a refurb. Good luck.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
By the way, I've been out of the receiver search mode for a while so take my suggestion on the panny with a grain of salt. I just read that there is a Yammy at J&R- the 5540 for $199. Look it up and see if it fits your needs. Again- I still feel that below the $200 mark- it's QC issues, distortion levels, and features that you need to look at carefully. The sound comes from the speakers- for the most part!

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
I'd look to ebay to get something from last year. You can still get new boxed units that retailed for $300-$400 and have all the features you want, but b/c they're not the current model year, they're discounted. I just looked and saw a Denon avr-1602 for a little over $200 and a Yammie r-v496 for just under $190. Both appear to have everything you want.

Just look for a seller with a lot of feedback, no negatives.

[edit] Oops, just re-read your post and noticed the 150 watt request. You might have trouble w/ that one.

AaronJB

Second Unit
The lowest priced 6.1 receiver with DTS, DTS-ES (Discrete and Matrix), PLII and NEO-6 is the panasonic SAHE100. The lowest price I've seen for that is $240ish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks