1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Reciever Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Caudill, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

I have been looking for a way to upgrade my HT and I thought I had figured it out. Currently I have a Yamaha HTR-5280 and I am driving Paradigm Titans and a cc-170 as well as a pair of older jbl speakers in the rear. I thought of using the 5280 as a preamp and adding a Parasound 85x5 (or something similiar) for a little bit cleaner sound. When I was looking at a local shop they recomended that instead I upgrade my reciever to a Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX. What do you guys think? Is this a good idea or is there another reciever/amp I should look at? I am trying to stay in this relative price range ($1000). Thanks, Jason

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I kinda like the idea of going with separate amplification. Its not like the 5280 is out of date. And a quality amplifier could last decades.
    Would the Pioneer really be a noticeable upgrade? I'm not familiar with the Pioneer line.
    Have you considered the Outlaw 750 5 channel amp? What about buying three monoblocks and letting the Yammy power the rear channels?

3. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

I have been considering the outlaw 5 channel amp and overall I agree it is probably a better unit (at least more powerful) than the Parasound but there will be about a $500 difference and I like the idea of buying locally. I have not ruled out that as an option. Does anyone have any experience with the Pioneer reciever?

4. YANG

YANG Second Unit

With US$1k,you can get much more better makes than what PIONEER and YAMAHA offers.Checkout the latest range from SHERWOOD.