Reciever Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Caudill, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

I have been looking for a way to upgrade my HT and I thought I had figured it out. Currently I have a Yamaha HTR-5280 and I am driving Paradigm Titans and a cc-170 as well as a pair of older jbl speakers in the rear. I thought of using the 5280 as a preamp and adding a Parasound 85x5 (or something similiar) for a little bit cleaner sound. When I was looking at a local shop they recomended that instead I upgrade my reciever to a Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX. What do you guys think? Is this a good idea or is there another reciever/amp I should look at? I am trying to stay in this relative price range ($1000). Thanks, Jason

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I kinda like the idea of going with separate amplification. Its not like the 5280 is out of date. And a quality amplifier could last decades.
    Would the Pioneer really be a noticeable upgrade? I'm not familiar with the Pioneer line.
    Have you considered the Outlaw 750 5 channel amp? What about buying three monoblocks and letting the Yammy power the rear channels?

3. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

I have been considering the outlaw 5 channel amp and overall I agree it is probably a better unit (at least more powerful) than the Parasound but there will be about a $500 difference and I like the idea of buying locally. I have not ruled out that as an option. Does anyone have any experience with the Pioneer reciever?

4. YANG

YANG Second Unit

With US$1k,you can get much more better makes than what PIONEER and YAMAHA offers.Checkout the latest range from SHERWOOD.