Reciever purchase: What would you do?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bob Elliott, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Bob Elliott

Bob Elliott Agent

I am getting closer to taking the plunge into home theater. I am on a quest for the perfect reciever (for me).

Anyway I stopped by Cicuit City to take a look at the Harmon Kardon AVR525 that i like. The sales guys also showed me an Onkyo TXSR800. The specs seemed about the same between the two, but I am leary af the Onkyo mostly because of what I have been reading about them on this board. It seems that their quality has gone down in the last few years and I woudl like to get the best reciver for my money. I won't be buying a reciver for a long, long time.

Anyway which reciver would you get? Like I said, I am leaning toward the AVR525. The Onkyo unit was THX certified and the HK wasn't but I am thinking I won';t miss it in the trade-off for quality.

Bob

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

3. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I agree. I used to have an Onkyo and loved it. I have read about problems with a lot of different brands of receivers on this forum, even H/K.

4. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I also agree....i've heard knocks on each and it usually happens because someone gets a bad one and is very vocal about it on many different forums. I auditioned the HK 320 and 520 recently, as well as the Onkyo 797 and Integra DTR7 (made by Onkyo) and I chose the Onkyo just because I personally liked the sound a little better. It was a tough choice though. I also currently own 2 older HK's , an AVR25 and an AVR10,both of which I've had for around 7 yrs and I've never had a problem with either one. I think you would be happy with either one.

5. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

Well I bought a H/K Avr-525 and love it. I auditioned it and some Onkyo's at Circuit City (don't remember model numbers) and I preferred the H/K by far. I would suggest you pick the one that:

a. sounds the best to you
    b. has the features you want
    c. you can afford! : )

Of course since I own a H/K I am biased but I'm going to recommend you buy the H/K Avr-525... you already seem to like it! : )

6. Jason F.

Jason F. Stunt Coordinator

If you don't mind getting factory renewed then you can get the H/K for 550 or Onkyo for 647. They both have factory warranties and oncall has great service! Onecall is out of H/K's but they said they would have some at the end of the month.

http://ww2.onecall.com/About_00001000_17_51_0_0_0_0.htm

7. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Every brand has problems from time to time, but I have compared the two units you are considering and I prefered the sound of the Harman/Kardon. It seems to be more substantial with a better defined soundstage. Both are good units, but the H/K seemed to do a better job.

Will Circuit City let you compare them head to head?