What's new

Reciever purchase: What would you do? (1 Viewer)

Bob Elliott

Agent
I am getting closer to taking the plunge into home theater. I am on a quest for the perfect reciever (for me).

Anyway I stopped by Cicuit City to take a look at the Harmon Kardon AVR525 that i like. The sales guys also showed me an Onkyo TXSR800. The specs seemed about the same between the two, but I am leary af the Onkyo mostly because of what I have been reading about them on this board. It seems that their quality has gone down in the last few years and I woudl like to get the best reciver for my money. I won't be buying a reciver for a long, long time.

Anyway which reciver would you get? Like I said, I am leaning toward the AVR525. The Onkyo unit was THX certified and the HK wasn't but I am thinking I won';t miss it in the trade-off for quality.

Bob

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I am leary af the Onkyo mostly because of what I have been reading about them on this board.
I'm not sure I'd dismiss the SR800 out-of-hand based on comments you've read here about Onkyo's 'quality.' Choose a manufacturer and there's someone out there who has had problems with it.

Any way you can arrange to audition both, in your room, connected to your speakers and sources?

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I agree. I used to have an Onkyo and loved it. I have read about problems with a lot of different brands of receivers on this forum, even H/K.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I also agree....i've heard knocks on each and it usually happens because someone gets a bad one and is very vocal about it on many different forums. I auditioned the HK 320 and 520 recently, as well as the Onkyo 797 and Integra DTR7 (made by Onkyo) and I chose the Onkyo just because I personally liked the sound a little better. It was a tough choice though. I also currently own 2 older HK's , an AVR25 and an AVR10,both of which I've had for around 7 yrs and I've never had a problem with either one. I think you would be happy with either one.

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Well I bought a H/K Avr-525 and love it. I auditioned it and some Onkyo's at Circuit City (don't remember model numbers) and I preferred the H/K by far. I would suggest you pick the one that:

a. sounds the best to you
b. has the features you want
c. you can afford! : )

Of course since I own a H/K I am biased but I'm going to recommend you buy the H/K Avr-525... you already seem to like it! : )

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Every brand has problems from time to time, but I have compared the two units you are considering and I prefered the sound of the Harman/Kardon. It seems to be more substantial with a better defined soundstage. Both are good units, but the H/K seemed to do a better job.

Will Circuit City let you compare them head to head?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks