What's new

Reciever problems. (1 Viewer)

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
I just received a brand new Sherwood Newcastle R-863, I would really love to give it a listen...

The thing is, it won't let me. As soon as I turn the thing on, it shuts off. I have a feeling its a problem with the power input, but really am clueless, nothing in the manual hints to this problem.

Any help?

I have a TEAC DV-10d dvd player hooked up to it, and a paradigm speaker pack.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you could try disconnecting everything. Yup, everything. Then turn the level all the way down, plug it in, & turn it on. Does it light up? Good. Turn it off, connect the TEAC, & do the drill again. Still good? Connect one (or even two) speakers. Carefully check the connections end-to-end before you hit the ON button. Make absolutely sure that nothing is shorted (wires or even small strands touching) at either end. Good to go? Hit the power again. Still lit up? Then slowly increase the volume - if nothing happens fire up some source material and listen. If you're hearing stuff then continue the drill in the same incremental way with the rest of the speakers (assuming you're going w/ > 2). Hopefully you've just got a shorted connection that's hard to see and "the drill" will get that resolved.

If/when it doesn't initially light up (or shuts off immediately) with nothing connected - try another outlet. If that doesn't work either then you just make have that statistical anomaly that made it out the door but shouldn't have - return it for a new one.

The other thing to try could be headphones w/o any speakers attached - if you have a pair lying around you should be able to connect only the headphones and find something via the tuner. If none of this works ("the drill", other outlets, etc.) then this is sounding like it's time for a return engagement...

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I no absolutely nothing about this receiver so here's what I think. Are you using the remote to turn on the power, or the power button on the amp. Here is why I ask, my Rotel RSP 1066 has a standby mode and when setup I must turn on the power from the remote. If I use the power button on the pre/pro, it powers up then shuts off. If your receiver has a similar option it may have come out of the factory with the standby function turned on. Hey, it's a long shot but......;)

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
I think I need to return it. >:

I've tried disconnecting all the sources and outputs (minus the speakers) and turning it on. It still shut off immediately.

However, before I hooked up the speakers I tried turning it on and it shut off immediately as well.

I think I am going to give it one more go through. Check and double check all the cables and everything. Hopefully I find what is wrong.

It really sucks spending big money on something, only to find out you got a dud...

-edit-
I've also tried usin the remote and everything, still the same problem. :frowning:

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
OK - one last desperate thing before you pack it up. I know this is stupid but humor me... On the back panel, check the AC Voltage Selection setting. It is sooo unlikely that it somehow got slid to the wrong setting, but since it is (remotely) possible it is worth checking. While you're there look at the speaker connectors one more time - there aren't any small remnant copper strands hiding anywhere between the connectors? And, there's nothing connected to the switched AC outlets, right? We want nothing else connected when you plug it in & turn it on again.

I'm sorry, but without looking at it I really don't know what else to suggest. Good luck!

GaryRoboff

Auditioning
I'm familiar with this receiver and I believe you will love how it sounds once you get it up and running. I think you should consider calling Sherwood in California and speaking with Eugene Chavez who runs the service facility there before you exchange the unit or send it in for warranty repairs. Here are two numbers since I'm not sure if the 800 number will work in Canada. The toll free number in the States is (800) 962-3203 and Eugene is extention 115. If that doesn't work, the regular number is (562) 741-0960, and of course the extention is the same.

Every time this has happened to me (more than I want to admit on lots of different amplifiers) the problem has been a short circuit in the speaker wire, sometimes as the previous poster noted just a single strand of copper wire across the positive and negative terminals. But you seem to have tested for that, and there may be a real problem. Eugene may be able to offer a few additional suggestions.

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Strange as it seems, there is no voltage selector on ym reciever. It's pictured in the manual and everything, but it isn't on my machine.

I'll quadruple check the wires before I go to bed tonight, praying that there will be some obvious thing i overlooked that will fix the problem.

Other than that, before calling Cali, I am going to give my retailer a ring on monday, see if they can suggest anything.

I am really starting to think its a manufacturing defect though. Becuase I have tried to power it up with nothing connected at all, and it still shuts off after 4-5 seconds.

Oh well, I guess the worst that will happen is that I get a brand new unit. If I do, it better work...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well you said you disconnected the speakers. I take it that means that you pulled the wires from the receiver. Often what happens is that people use bare wires to connect to the receiver and a little tiny wire sticks out and shorts the outputs, in which case your receiver might just do what it's doing right now. So check carefully that there's no stray wire jumping the terminals.

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I have checked, there were no crossovers.

Thing is, I have tried to turn it on with only the power cable plugged in the thing, and it still does the same thing. So I am almost positive it is a defective unit. Unless ofcourse it is supposed to shut off if nothing is connected.

At any rate the retailer is going to send someone over tomorow to try and solve the problem. I guess I get to watch a guy do everything I just did. :

Oh well, I hope they send him over with a new unit.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
yeah...that happens. But since it's a defective peice from the box, don't be discouraged with it. it happens sometimes. when you get it working, you will LOVE IT!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Try connecting the speakers one at a time. If there is a problem with one of them, or a particular speaker wire, that would let you isolate the problem.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
The tech guys game today with all their testing gear. Within 5 minutes they identified it as a faulty unit. They took it back to the shop, who I am supposed to hear from (although I haven't and it is an hour from closing, time for me to call them). They are supposedly getting another shipment in today, so I hope to get a new unit soon. Maybe I will try and convince them to drop it off, if not, I gotta wait till thursday.
:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks