What's new

reciever problem, please help! (1 Viewer)

davtak

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I have a sony str-dg510 5.1 surround reciever. I have a Philips HD up-convert dvd player hooked up with hdmi cables (along with digital rca cable for sound)through the reciever to my Vizio 32" HDTV. When I go from the hdmi out of the dvd player to the dvd in of the reciever, then from the dvd out of the reciever to the hdmi in of the tv, the picture on the tv is yellow and pink colored. If I go to the video 2 plug (no sound), the picture is clear as day. What is happening, I figured it's the dvd in plug, but could it have something to do with the hd up-convert aspect. Do I have to change something in the menu somewhere. I never had this problem before. It just started one day when I went to watch a movie. I went and bought a new cable and that didn't help. Any ideas?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dave. Thats ... strange.

Try this:

Hook the output of the DVD player directly to an input on the TV. Do you still have the problem?

If so - hook directly into a DIFFERENT HDMI jack. Do you still have the problem?

Then - try going DVD -> receiver -> TV, but pick a DIFFERENT HDMI input jack.

The hope is that you may trace the problem to a particular cable or jack.

davtak

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I came to the conclusion that the dvd in (hdmi) port must be bad. I did go straight from the dvd player to the tv and the picture was fine. I plugged the hdmi into the video 2 slot and the picture was fine. What I did was go straight from the dvd player to the tv with the hdmi, but put the digital audio into the receiver so I still have my surround sound.

I did have a problem with the last hdmi cable I had and went and bought a new one. Maybe that did it. I turned it on last night after I rewired my entire set-up to try and fix it (same thing happened), I got a message on the top of my tv screen saying something like DTSC setup or somthing is not copatible, I have never had a problem before. When I saw that, I started to wonder if the plug was actually bad. I don't have anything else in the house that is hdmi, or I would try that to see if it worked. I'll have to check out all the other dvd players in the house and toy around and see if the same thing happens. It's got to be something with the receiver is setup worng or something. But, it works fine for now, until I feel like diving into it again.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Good to hear that it is working. Sometimes when it is your own equipment you can get really frustrated so stopping for a while is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks