What's new

Reciever pops when it switchs from 5.1 to Surround (1 Viewer)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Or when I turn off the DVD player before the reciever. When I watch a 5.1 Direct TV Movie then change to a non-5.1 show it pops. I know its the reciever because it worked fine with a different reciever.

kevitra

Second Unit
What receiver do you have?

This is a known issue with Rotel preamps and receivers.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Its an old Sony 454. I've had the problem for years with DVDs, but its now more noticable with Sat.

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
You mean you hear a noise coming from the receiver itself, not through the speakers, right? My Onkyo clicks whenever it switches in and out of digital audio streams, but I think it's perfectly normal, as it's always done it... It's not really a problem for me, I mean it doesn't do it in the middle of a movie or anything.

kevitra

Second Unit
There is nothing you can do about it. I tried many things (amplifiers, other cables, etc).

You either need to upgrade or live with it.

Manuel:R

Auditioning
I just got a NAD 752 a week ago. When I switch from one source to another, for example DVD to CD or CD to FM, I do hear a pop in one of the speakers. I also hear the pop when I scroll through my preset FM stations.

Not sure if this is normal? I guess I will contact NAD and post my finds here.

Manny.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Signal acquisition (or loss) pops happen on occasion between components. I'm not certain as to why but some stuff is better than others in this regard. (I get it sometimes when playing one of the few DTS CDs that I have.) My feeling is that it has to do with how well (and timely) a receiver's muting circuit works with digital signals.

As for the turn on/turn off pops...they are not as rare as one might think (although as above, some stuff is worse that others.) The work around for that is to always turn on the receiver last when powering everything up and to turn off the receiver first when powering everything down. If you want to turn on/off components with the receiver already on, then switch the receiver to a different input (for a different component) before doing the power cycling.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I've lived with it for 5 years. I just wanted to see if anyone knew what the cause of it was.

Users who are viewing this thread