Reciever on a budget

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy K, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for some help in picking out the best reciever for the money. I am looking to spend less than $500. I got the latest Consumer Reports that lists a Panasonic as a Consumer Reports Best Buy, sorry I don't know the model number right now, but it was listed at $300. But the salesman at a local electronics store says to stay away from Panasonic because they are more expensive to repair. I am sort of looking now at an Onkyo TSXR600. But I am open to and hoping for ideas and suggestions. Also what to you think about buying online? Good or Bad? Thank you, Jeremy

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

3. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

I think you'll get more feedback in the Receivers/Separates/Amps forum. This forum discusses DVD players, digital TV tuners, satellite receivers and so forth.

I will say that I have had excellent results with my Onkyo 575x, which is the model from a couple years ago that filled the same price/performance niche as the new 600. The 600 has a sixth-channel amp for 6.1 Dolby material, which my old reciever does not. Why don't you buy it and if you don't like it I'll trade you my receiver for yours.

Seriously, the only drawback I can see is that it won't do the new 6.1 DTS decoding. That's not near as common as the 6.1 Dolby and I think you'd have to spend more money to get that feature. IMO, the Onkyo receivers sound very good and are quite reliable. That one seems well worth 500 bucks.