What's new

Reciever on a budget (1 Viewer)

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for some help in picking out the best reciever for the money. I am looking to spend less than $500. I got the latest Consumer Reports that lists a Panasonic as a Consumer Reports Best Buy, sorry I don't know the model number right now, but it was listed at $300. But the salesman at a local electronics store says to stay away from Panasonic because they are more expensive to repair. I am sort of looking now at an Onkyo TSXR600. But I am open to and hoping for ideas and suggestions. Also what to you think about buying online? Good or Bad? Thank you, Jeremy

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
. But the salesman at a local electronics store says to stay away from Panasonic because they are more expensive to repair.
I’d think twice about the store and salesman. Even it is true that Panasonic receivers are more expensive to repair (and I doubt that this is really true, or at least completely true), cost to repair is only one factor. How often something needs to be repaired is also something to be considered. If one model cost on average $50 to repair and another was 50% more expensive to repair ($75), but the second model only need repair half as often, the first model would cost (over a given period) $100 to repair, while the second would only require $75.

How often do receivers need repair? These are not components with moving parts, requiring frequent repair.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I think you'll get more feedback in the Receivers/Separates/Amps forum. This forum discusses DVD players, digital TV tuners, satellite receivers and so forth.

I will say that I have had excellent results with my Onkyo 575x, which is the model from a couple years ago that filled the same price/performance niche as the new 600. The 600 has a sixth-channel amp for 6.1 Dolby material, which my old reciever does not. Why don't you buy it and if you don't like it I'll trade you my receiver for yours.

Seriously, the only drawback I can see is that it won't do the new 6.1 DTS decoding. That's not near as common as the 6.1 Dolby and I think you'd have to spend more money to get that feature. IMO, the Onkyo receivers sound very good and are quite reliable. That one seems well worth 500 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks