Reciever help...$500- $600 area...thanks!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by allan michael, Dec 2, 2001.

1. allan michael

allan michael Auditioning

I am considering and Onkyo, Marantz, and Sony recievers...$500-$600 range...but now it looks like Denon 2802 is now in the running and leading.

I have a $225, 2 yr. old reciever and i'm not happy with the punch that is seriously lacking, as my listening gets better. (to DVD's). I have to crank this 100wt.( yeah rite!) Sony STDRE-545 reciever way up, thus hiss and low quality sound, no transient response either.....nothin'!

I think i need this more powerful reciever....then i could get good power at low volume ( most important) and not have to crank it up to where my neighbors next door start banging on the walls...

...any other info you can give would be great....

thanks

Allan

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I would also look into one other receiver in addition to the Denon 2802. Chekc out the 1050 by Outlaw. It's a very nice receiver at $499, and will get you 6-channel surround sound. Do a search for it and you will find many of the members here like that receiver very much.

3. joe goswami

joe goswami Stunt Coordinator

I have Denon AVR-1802 paired with a used Adcom GFA-555IIamp. My advice to budding home theatre enthusiasts is buy a decent receiver (I'm partial to Denon from experience) and find a good 2 channel amp to drive your left and right speakers. Use the receiver for CTR/RR/LR. My reasoning for this is that when doing any such criticial stereo listening, you'll always achieve better results with dedicated amp for this.

Most(not all)receivers have a very "thin" sound to them. The rare exceptions to this statement are the Denon's,

Outlaw's,& Marantz's of the home theatre world. I was sold on dedicated (amp/preamp) equipment back in the stereo days of the early to late 1990's. I never converted to the Pro-Logic fad knowing that if I wait a couple years Dolby Digital & DTS would just around the corner.

The bottom line : $500-$600 will easily get you this especially if you can find a dealer that will trade-in stuff.

4. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

The 2802 has DPL2 and DTS ES discrete over the Outlaw. You may want to check Circuit City for a leftover Onkyo 787 also.

5. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

JandR.com has the Harman Kardon AVR-520 for $650. I just got mine in friday from them and got them down to $610 plus shipping ($636 total). I was in the same situation as you and narrowed it down to the Marantz or HK and went with the HK since Marantz was having problems with their new line and would not give an answer if or when they would be fixed. And I love this 520 now that I have it. It sounds exceptionally clear and detailed compared to my 11 year old Pioneer receiver.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I have a Denon 3300 for sale in the for sale area if you're interested. the 3300 was and still is a very highly regarded receiver
    Click here for link

7. allan michael

allan michael Auditioning

Well folks,
    With everyone's fne help here at HTF i am going to order an Outlaw 1050 tommorrow!!!
    ....and it looks like you won't have to wish me luck.. [​IMG]
    thanks again everyone
    From,
    i cant wait Allan