What's new

Reciever for outdoor use (1 Viewer)

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for an outdoor receiver to power my outdoor pool speakers. I know there probably aren't any recievers specifically made to be outdoors, but i'm looking for a relatively cheap(200 or less) reciever to power my two klipsch outdoor speakers. The receiver will be placed under a porch and i'm looking for some type of container to place the reciever in(any suggestions would be appreciated). The speakers can only handle a 60 watt rms so enough power shouldnt be a problem. I would also like a reciever with good radio reception and inputs for a cd player. I'm totally open to any suggestions and thanks in advance for your help.

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
go down to ur local pawn shop and get you a good cheap 2 ch receiver and ur set

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a Sherwood stereo reciever at C.C. for my Boston deck speakers. It's rated at 100 wpc and was $80, it works fine

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
alright thanks, what do you recommend using to protect it from the weather? I will have it under the porch but I still think i will need some other way of keeping it safe.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Try the SHERWOOD RD-6105 or something like that so that if it gets wet it's not that big a deal- simply because you can get it for about $80. It's reported to be a nice little unit for the money by the way. Try outpost.com.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Protect it with a heavy plastic (thick acrylic) open box turned upside down. You can make the box. Go to a petshop that sells fish and ask for the glue/sealer that is used to seal/repair/make the sides of fish tanks.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I don't know where you live, but I'm assuming that you worry more about rain than snow.

I have my receiver in the shed with the wires running to the outdoor speakers. If you need it to be outdoors, though sheltered, I'd think you could just wrap a hefty bag around it when you aren't using it. You need ventilation when it's working so any kind of permanent box isn't too good an idea, IMO.

You could probably score a good-enough stereo receiver at a pawn shop, as suggested, or start hitting the yard sales.

Good luck! When's the pool party?

Jan

Jose G

Supporting Actor

Yes. If you make a box/cover, drill a few holes on the most protected side if you plan to use it while it's in the box. I was assuming you would take the cover off when playing the unit.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
yeah snow is no problem since I live in Texas, i guess i'll try putting a box over it when not in use. It's not the most ergonimically appealing solution but it will work.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Personally Bradley, I’d try to find away to get the receiver indoors and run cables to the outside for the speakers. Virtually anything outside is going to eventually end up being invaded by ants or some other insect or outdoor creepy-crawly thing, unless it is hermetically sealed.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah after thinking about it, I believe I will go with Wayne's idea. I suppose I can use zone 2 on my yamaha, but wiring it will be a major hassle.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I picked up a receiver at a garage sale for $5 about 4 years ago. I built a little "shed" for it and set the shed on my deck rail where it meets the house; so it's somewhat protected by the eaves as well. The "shed" has a shingled roof and a hinged door. The receiver has been left out year round in our northeast winters and still plays like a champ.

I used to hook up a portable CD player to it but then ran inputs to it from my Yammy zone 2 outputs.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Do as Wayne suggests, then get an IR/RF universal remote so you can control it and your CD player, etc from the deck. Having to run indoors to adjust the volume, etc is a pain.

-Dave

GaryQ

Auditioning
Another vote for the pawn shop.
I have a receiver and speakers outdoors and that's where I bought them. The darn things are still going after 5 years. I thought that I would have to replace them every couple of years. If you buy at the pawn shop, you won't mine replacing them every year.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
To clarify, you’ll need a remote that transmits RF and changes it indoors to IR transmitter. IR might not work well outdoors, especially if the sun is shining brightly .

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks