reciever decisions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by justin_troness, Oct 7, 2002.

1. justin_troness

I'm looking to get either a onkyo tx-sr600 or a denon avr-1803. They both look good but i've heard the onkyo only does 34x6 with all channels driven so im wondering what would be the better choice?

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

For my speakers I like the sound of Denon more than the Onk which is not to say that the Onkyo couldn't sound excellent with properly matched speakers. The 34 W on the Onk do seem kinda low esp for those underwater explosions in U-571 unless you have those super efficient Klipsch's with sensitivities in the range of 100 db/w/m.

3. Iver

Iver Second Unit

One figure that can give you a rough idea of the total possible power the receiver is capable of putting out is the total amount of power it takes in. All amplifiers have a level of efficiency below 100% (the final stage puts out some fraction of the total power fed into it) and other sections of the receiver also use some power.

Here are the raw figures from Onkyo for the SR600: the rating is 5.5 amps @ 120 volts = 660 watts consumption (Onkyo advertises a capabililty of 480 watts total six-channel output).

So, it is technically possible that the Onkyo will put out 80 WPC, as the manufacturer claims.

By the way, most amps, no matter who makes them, rarely get near the top-rated output level. The amp is only going to approach its rated max when you are really pushing it (turned up to "11") and reproducing very dynamic music.