Reciever cutting out, help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Sean_Oz, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Sean_Oz

Sean_Oz Extra

I recently set up my Onkyo 601. It's great, works like a charm. I was in the middle of a episode of Band of Brothers when the reciever just cut out and turned off. I turned the reciever back on and tried it again with the same thing happeneing again. The volume is on 75 which equates to 75 avia dbs and around 85-90 dbs during this band of brothers scene. Why is this happening. I would think there should be another 15-20 dbs of headroom before this reciever cuts out. Could the reciever not be getting enough current? What would cause this problem? I wonder if am just expecting more. Thanks for the help.

Sean

2. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

Check all of the speaker wires to make sure none are touching the chassis.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

As Andrew says, the speaker wires are the most common cause of the reciever going into "Protect" mode.

Look at both ends of the speaker wires. You are looking for any small strands of copper sticking out causing a short. (connecting between the terminals, not just touching the chassis).

Also, check how hot the reciever is. Too warm will cause a shut-down. Make sure you have good vent space.

If no wireing problem is found, and you have good ventilation: you could be trying to drive 5 speakers defined as LARGE with lots of low-frequency sounds during war scenes. This happens a lot during the Lobby Shootout scene of "The Matrix" even with a reciever that worked fine before.

Make sure your speakers are properly defined as SMALL vs LARGE. If you have an external subwoofer, make all your speakers SMALL and try it that way.

4. Sean_Oz

Sean_Oz Extra

Bob/Andrew,
    Thanks for your quick replies. I just checked every wire going in or out of my reciever. I took out all of the speaker wires, trimmed the ends, and put them all in thier place carefully. I also trimmed all wires going to speakers and hooked them up again. I also checked my settings and all speakers are set to small with the sub on and crossover set at 80. Any other thoughts? Thanks,

Sean

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ventilation? You may need to leave the doors on your rack open. I have even gone so far as to install a small AC fan to keep air circulating.

6. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

Or you might have a faulty circuit. I would take it to a service center and have it checked.

Stelios

7. John S

John S Producer

Try moving your cross over up some....

These would not happen to be Polk and/or 4 Ohm speakers would they???? Not the greatest match there if so.

8. Sean_Oz

Sean_Oz Extra

The speakers are S38's, 8 ohm speakers. I tried unplugging all of the speakers and playing the scene that the reciever always cuts out on. I turned the volume above the cut-out level and nothing happened. The receiver stayed on. I don't know if this test proves anything but I am going to get some banana plugs tomorrow and run new wires to the speakers. I just hope that something isn't wrong with my speakers!

Sean

9. John S

John S Producer

Hook just the fronts and center up, and see if it still shuts off.

If so, I am going to bank it is the Receiver with the thermal issue, and not the speakers.

I take it all the speakers seem fine and clear when playing?

10. Sean_Oz

Sean_Oz Extra

Well I ran new wires with banana plugs and no luck still. When I use just the front speakers and the center, it still cuts out. What is the "thermal issue" you speak of. And yes, the speakers are clear during play. Thanks for all of the help!

Sean

11. Sean_Oz

Sean_Oz Extra

Does anyone have any more information that may help me? Like what was the thermal issue that someone mentioned before. I have tried everything wtih this reciever. All help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sean

12. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

1. It sounds like the receiever is overheating, but the JBL S-38IIs are 8ohm speakers (I have the S38IIs and the S-center myself), which the Onkyo should capably handle (or at least I'm pretty sure it should - maybe it doesn't handle these at high volumes for long periods? I dunno - I'm personally not brave enough to play the S38IIs in this small room that loudly for fear that I'd be sent through the back wall).

2. You've tried all the connections.

3. Doubt this could be an issue, but maybe try a different power outlet? Maybe something's sketchy with your power.

4. Make sure that you have enough breathing room in your cabinet, so that your receiever doesn't literally overheat.

5. Call/write Onkyo and describe the problem. I've heard their customer service is pretty decent.

6. Check that the connections are all right (+/- on speakers, etc.)

7. It's a curious problem that you have no issue w/speakers disconnected. As mentioned earlier, you may have a faulty circuit or something along those lines.

13. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

Maybe a hassle, but can you disconnect it and take to a friend's house. That way you can try the receiver on other speakers, other speaker wires, and other electrical supply.

Does it cut out even after you have had the receiver off for a few hours? It would seem to mr that if it was a heating problem with the receiver, it should take a while to get to the nasty point.

14. Sean_Oz

Sean_Oz Extra

1. I don't think overheating is a possibility. There is plenty of airflow not to mention I can turn the reciever on after being off for a day and the reciever will still cut out. I don't think I am playing the reciever too loud either. 85-90 peak dbs isn't monster right?

2. I have tried all the connections more times then I care to discuss. I even bought banana clips for all speaker connections, no dice.

3. I actually gave the reciever it's own outlet, no power strip at all and it still cut out.

4. I don't think its overheating but I will keep an eye out for that!

5. I did and they said that I am doing something wrong. I am going to call them back today or tomorrow, I will talk to someone different so I am sure I will get a different answer.

6. Banana plugs make that an easy one to rule out!

7. Maybe it is a faulty circuit, who knows!

I am basically going to call Onkyo and have to take it somewhere. I would really rather just return the stupid thing and get a new one. This is a really big hassle that I don't need.

I would take it to a friends house to try the reciever on different speakers but none of my friends are into home theater. My dad is getting a set of B&W's in the near future so if I can't get this resolved by then, I can try my reciever out on them. Thanks for the help guys!

Sean

15. John S

John S Producer

You may have a defective unit.
    Try a different house circuit.

Time to test your retailer and.or Onkyo on their warranty, I suppose.

16. Sean_Oz

Sean_Oz Extra

Well just to let you guys know, it was my speakers. I realized that this was happening in stereo mode as well. So I hooked up my rears as fronts and cranked up the reciever and it just dished out the power. My N24's out played my S38's. To top it off, I grabbed a pair of my parents B&W bookshelves and hooked them up and they played fine too, no cutting out. My new question is what could have happened to the speakers to make them not play loud? I never really abused them, just played them how they are supposed to be played. I guess I can't complain too much, I did buy them 2 years and I was looking for a reason to upgrade!! THanks for all of your help guys! This site is definitely an invaluable tool.

Sean

17. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

My guess is blown tweaters.