Reciever Choices

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan DRC, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Dan DRC

Dan DRC Stunt Coordinator

I want to update my home theater. My current system is dated

but is of very good quality. Fosgate mod 4 processer with three Acurus A150's, Skell type K/II five of them all the way around with a Snell THX sub. I have recently added a

Panasonic RP56 DVD and new VHS. Now I want to upgrade to

Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES. I have been looking at the following. Denon 3802, Integra 7.2 and Yamaha 1200.

I would also add a powered sub in the near future as the current Snell is passive. My room is an average living room

20'x12'. I was thinkg about buying one of the above recievers and using it as a preamp, going this way I really

don't know if I would hear any real differences between the three units listed above. If I did not use the amps I already own and use just the reciever alone then I believe

It would be a different story. Any opinions on which reciever you would go with?

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Dan- To be honest, I don't think you can lose with any of those 3. Have you checked the features and stuff in terms of what you want? (Phono input, bass management, DSP fields, etc.)

I had a Yamaha RV-X793 in the past that I also used as a pre pro. 1st with a Nakamichi power amp, then ... an Acurus. I liked that combo very much, and to be honest, I liked the DSP sound fields in the Yammie better than the Sony pre pro I have now. The 2 channel sound in the Yammie would give the Sony a run for the money too. But the Yamaha might only give you 90 Hz as a single crossover, which might not be flexible enough for you.

3. Dan DRC

Dan DRC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your reply Kevin. Yeah I know it would be pretty

close in terms of performance. I think it probably comes down to ease of operation and price. The Yamaha seems to win

out in both areas. The Integra is the most expensive of the three but does appear to have the best construction. The Denon is well built but operation seems more difficult than

the other three. Still looking for more opinions on these three, Thanks.

4. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I had a Denon, and it seemed cumbersome to navigate. But once I got the hang of it, the remote was great, even better than my current receiver.