What's new

Reciever and Speaker matching? (1 Viewer)

Johan Meyer

Auditioning
I have been reading these threads for a few days now and
have learnt allot but I am still a little confused wrt matching your speeker/reciever

They say that the most common way a speaker/tweeter is "blown" is through "cliping" and that there should be enough "head room" to stop this from happening.

So if your speaker is rated a 150Watts Maximum rms which is fairly common among floor standing speakers
what size amp should you need to avoid clipping at high volumes?

I suppose 150 watt amp should be perfect but for the avarage enthusiast a 150 watt amp can get a little too expensive.But anything smaller will keep blowing your tweeters??

Thanks
Johan

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I think you have to worry about something seriously under powered not something that is a true 65-80(I arbitrarily pulled this number out of the air. Someone with more experience can tell you if there is a magic number) or more watts per channel. Just make sure to determine what the watts per channel are. Some receivers cheat on this number. For example say a receiver says that it is a 100 watt receiver but if you read closely that 100 watts is broken down to 20 watts per channel. That kind of under power is what you need to worry about not something 65-80 or more true watts per channel. Other 100 watt receivers will be a true 100 watts per channel.

Another thing that comes into play is sensitivity rating. If your speakers are rated 85db you are going to need a lot more power than a receiver rated at 93db. The sensitivity rating is decibels(db) at one meter with one watt of power. It takes doubling your power for every 3db increase in volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks