What's new

Reciever/amp Problem;18 Speakers To Power (1 Viewer)

Rudy_Cast

Auditioning
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum and I have one question that I usually get different responses on. I have just purchased a new home and I had SPEAKERCraft Speakers installed by a friend of mine. I have 18 speakers in total 16 are 200 watt peak in-wall speakers and 2 are outdoor speakers that have a 300 watt peak. I being "audio illiterate" installed a cheap SONY Receiver that come in one of those theater packages with all the cheap little speakers witch sound more like tweeters. This amp I'm guessing cannot even make my in walls "kick". I also have a 8 port selector to avoid overloading the amp. My question is, What amp or receiver would I need to buy to make my speakers give me the kick that a need and still can take all the 9 pairs of speakers I'm wanting to power up.(keep in mind that all these speakers are in separate areas scatter across the home) I have a budget of $1000.00 to pay for the receiver or amp.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Sherbourne make some high-number of channel poweramps. I believe 16 is their highest.

Powering 18 speakers is going to cost well over $1000 IMO- unless you want to run the risk of damaging the speakers or constantly shutting the amp down.

Rudy_Cast

Auditioning
Thank You for your reply,
Since all the speakers are scattered across my home, I do not intend to use them all running at once for long periods of time(probably 5 min. at the most). I've been told in the past to use a channel selector.What amp/reciever mixture do you reccommend. Please specify model numbers or brands. If they are not available could you provide any specific "stats" that i should look for. I'm most likely going to buy the amp or reciever if i need a new one on ebay so probaly that could be used to give me a specific item. Thank You again and I await your future posts.

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone here give an oppinion of the HK AVR-7200? It's on sale at Fry's (and other places) for under $800 (MSRP of $1795.00). It has multi room and / dual simultanious zone capabilities and has high current amps capabale of handling long run situations.

Right now,it's got to be the deal of the year...century for entry level high-end equipment. It's very nice and VERY configurable in the right hands.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter

Most likely this has some form of resistor so you might be able to use any AVR of decent quality without fear.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rmb1048.htm
That's a eight channel amp.

Sherbourne's sixteen channel amp.. still two channels short.
http://www.sherbourn.com/products/LDS_16_800.php

You will also have the problem of how to control the volume on each speaker/all speakers remotely. I don't have experience with the bigger distrubution consoles. I guess you could use several switch boxes/pre-amp control box and use two speakers on a single channel (just make sure the speakers are 8Ohm) Only know of these...

http://www.qed.co.uk/acc/acc-ss.html

Dean_S

Second Unit
Cheapest way to accomplish this task is to buy an impedance matching volume control for each pair of speakers and then just run a normal 2-ch amp on the entire system. I have 7 pairs running off an old HK recv at my dad's house for 5 years with no problems (using Niles brand volume controls). At his old house he didn't have volume controls in every room so we ran a QED impedance matching speaker switch at the recv (but this house only had 4 pairs)using this same HK recv. The recv is 18 years old now and still working well.

Here's a link to a page at smarthome.com that has several impedance matching volume controls listed:
http://www.smarthome.com/avvlmctrl.html

Rudy_Cast

Auditioning
Sorry that I didn't mention this earlier, I have (1) volume control for every room that has speakers.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Unless you HAVE to use a receiver & aren't using these speakers for critical listening, you might want to check into using some commercial sound equipment for these speakers:

Commercial audio equipment at PartsExpress.com

A lot of this category's components are as good as the consumer versions, but cheaper, since they aren't very attractive.

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks