What's new

reciever advice (1 Viewer)

jeff garver

Auditioning
I have narrowed my search for a new reciever, I want to stay around the $500 range so my picks are...................Pioneer vsx1014 or Onkyo sr602... My question is, are these recievers a wise choice or am I overlooking any other reciever in the $500 range.. I am powering a pair of Paridigm Moniter 7 and my other surround speakers

bryan A

Agent
Pioneer 1014tx is a great receiver for the price. If you read around the forum you will see alot of recommendations for this receiver, I have had mine for about a month now and could not be happier at this point.

joseFMJ

Stunt Coordinator
The Pioneer is superior to the Onkyo. MCACC widens the gap even further.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I've enjoyed my Elite VSX 53TX, pretty much the same thing as the 1014, so I say go for it, Pioneer receivers are awesome!

JohnCif

Auditioning
I've also been trying to decide between the Onkyo TX-SR602 and the Pioneer VSX-1014.

I'm new to this forum, but have found it extremely helpful in many areas. I'm stuck on a few things that I was hoping you all could help answer for me:

1. VSX-1014 is THX certified, but isn't it true that the SR602 has 6.1 and 7.1 decoding as well, but just not THX certified? Is this really that big of a difference?

2. The VSX-1014 has a phono input, but can't I hook my turntable up to the SR602 by simply using an input that isn't being used by any other components?

3. I currently have a set of outdoor speakers hooked up to the B speakers of my old Sony Pro Logic that I'm looking to replace. If I understand the 2nd zone feature of the SR-602 correctly, if I hook these speakers to the 2nd zone speaker output, I'll be able to listen to one audio source on these and another in my primary zone, but I'll only be able to get 5.1 surround in my primary zone (I believe the VSX-1014 also has this option). In order to get 7.1 in my primary zone, I would have to use the 2nd zone output jacks and connect them to a second receiver, then run the outdoor speakers from this second receiver. This sounds like a pain to me, but at least the SR-602 gives me the option. The VSX-1014 does not. Does this sound like I understand this correctly? Is there any solution to my need to play my CD player outside and have full surround capabilities inside? I'm used to the old A speakers/B speaker which neither of these seem to have.

4. From what I read, the SR-602 has component video switching: 3 in, 1 out (50MHz bandwidth). I can't seem to find similar specs on the VSX-1014. Are they similar?

Based on these 4, I should finally be able make a decision on which of these is best for my needs and interests. I've been obsessed with this for a a couple of weeks now and I think my wife has just about had enough of my indecisiveness.

Thanks in advance for all who reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks