Recharging NiMH D cells

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I know you're supposed to try not to overchange NimH cells because it could damage the cell itself. I made a homemade bike light consisting of 5 1.2v 9500mAH D cells connected in series to light a pair of 6v lights (one 12W spot and a 20W flood). Now I have the option of taking out the cells and using a Smart Charger which has circuitry to detect a full charge (delta-V method-700mAH charge rate) or I can also use the wall wart charger that came with my bike lights (Marwi Kamikaze with my own DIY battery pack) that is a 500mAH battery charger but is not smart and simply runs as long as it's plugged in. The kicker is that I put the whole battery in a pack that is screwed in with screws so it's hard to remove the cells which makes using the wallwart charger enticing. However, I'm wondering if I should perhaps use a timer to turn the charger off after X hours.

Anybody familiar with recharing recommend a course of action? I really would like to simply use the wall wart but want to see if it would be OK to use the wall wart but with a timer on it?

Jay

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The timer would work (assuming you only charge when the pack is low). Another option would be to rig the smart charger up to your battery pack using some wire, alligator clips (connected to charge terminals), & a plug that fits your battery pack.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks... I think I'm going to use the smart charger for the first couple cycles... I'm told I might not get the whole 9500mAH until after a couple of discharge cycles so I think I'll just run the smart charger for a bit and then go with the wall wart/timer thing...

Thanks!

Jay