Rechargable Batteries for GBA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Since I installed my afterburner, I noticed that my GBA is going through batteries MUCH faster. Looking to pick up some rechargables-any recommendations as to what I should look for? I know all too well about the NiCd memory problem, but if I buy a set to use just with the Game Boy and run them down completely all the time, there shouldn't be a problem. Are there other advantages to the Nickel Metal Hydride ones though?

2. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Chris,

By all means, buy either of the the GBA rechargable power stations available through MadKatz and Pelican. Each station resembles a small 'docking port' that you place your GBA in, and two rechargable battery packs, each the size of two AA batteries. They fit snugly in the back of the GBA, and when exposed and plugged in, automatically replenish the batteries. You can also store the second one in the port itself, so there's backup.

It's much better than constantly buying batteries, or even rechargable ones with a separate charger.

Joseph

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

From my experience with rechargable batterries and the GBA, they will die off quicker than normal ones, but you can recharge them, so its all good.

Some rechargable battery sets come with two batterries. Get one of them.

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'm actually not a big fan of any of the charging systems that leave a big piece sticking out of the back. I did the math though, and figured that the best deal would be to just buy the 40 pack of the no name alkalines (for $12) and go through those (at least the better deal than dropping $50 on a charger and 4 batteries in the short term).

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I read something in Consumer reports or somewhere a few months ago that suggested that as far as disposables go, buy the cheapest generics you can find, since they are soo much cheaper than the best duracells - even though the life is shorter, you make out in the long run by buying the cheap ones.

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The one I have comes with a little cover for the battery compartment that has two little metal spots on the back of it. You switch out the GBA's battery cover with the one that comes with the charger, and when you put it in the charging stand, the little metal strips carry the current to the rechargeable batteries inside (they're specially made for the GBA and the charger). Its actually really cool.

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer