What's new

recessed connection box (1 Viewer)

GaryPete

Auditioning
Is there a specialized recessed type HT connection box that I can recess into a wooden floor next to my sub woofer for it's power and signal connections?? It's in the middle of a very large room and I don't want to string wires across the floor. Big enough for a double duplex in there for AC plus room for the sub signal jack and maybe phone or cat5 as well. I've looked at electrical sites and only one, a pop-up style half way appealed to me. Is there a HT style most 'in the know' builders like to use that us newbies wouldn't know about?? Appreciate a tip or two.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You’ll probably have to look to the pro audio world for this one, Gary. They commonly use flush-mounted boxes in permanent installations, usually called “stage pockets,” “floor pockets,” or “floor boxes” They have a flush trap door with built-in cable exits. The connections are recessed into the floor.

Get in touch with a local pro audio shop for them. Alternately, most on-line pro audio vendors probably carry them, too.

Here’s what some of them look like:
http://www.horizonmusic.com/catalog/Hrzn_Cat_pg46.htm
http://www.whirlwindusa.com/floor01.html
http://www.acebackstage.com/

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm...i see floor receptacles all the time.

wouldn't a place like home-depot make some sort of retrofit gang-box designed for floor installations? heck, if you have access to the floor joists, you may be able to frame one out yourself.

dunno..completely guessing here. :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If the recessed outlets HD or Lowe’s sells is like what I usually see in offices and similar applications, the outlet’s cover is either removed or stays lifted when in use, and the plug basically sticks up out of the floor. That’s fine for temporary or occasional use, but not terribly attractive for a permanent situation. Plus I doubt anything a hardware store sells will accommodate both power and audio connections.

These stage boxes are extremely low profile, protruding not much more than the thickness of the sheet metal, and the trap door is closed after connections are made. It would be a practical scenario for a sub to set directly over an installed box, assuming it had feet tall enough to clear the cables underneath.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

GaryPete

Auditioning
The links were perfect, Wayne. Thanks much. I'm waiting for email response from the sites now. I like the totally flush style with the cables exiting through the closed cover. I'd even like to apply a veneer to it somehow to match for floor better. Thanks everyone for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks