Recently purchased a Pioneer PDP 4340-HD 43" Plasma and need help!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tomas:R, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Tomas:R

Tomas:R Auditioning

Hi everyone,

I am a new member here at Home Theater Forum and I will probably be posting a lot from now on since I am in the home theater game.

First of all let me list my components, this may help.

Pioneer PDP 4340-HD 43" TV
    Pioneer PDP R04U Media Receiver
    Yamaha HTR 5760 Receiver
    Sony DVP-NS575P DVD Player
    Bose 301 V-Black Front Speakers
    Bose 201 Rear Surround
    Bose VCS-10 Center Channel
    Velodyne CHT-10 Subwoofer
    Acoustic Research Component Cables
    Monster Power Bar

I am having problems getting my plasma set up. I have a few questions to ask.

1. When I go to change the screen size all I get is 480p in any of the formats (4:3, Full, Zoom etc.) which is not looking all that great. The picture is not nearly as clear as I was expecting as I have seen this tv in several stores and the picture quality was amazing. I am getting this same setting with everything (dvd, hdtv box etc.) What am I doing wrong?

2. I am in Toronto Canada and I just got Rogers HD and would like to know whether it is possible to tune all of my dtv channels in through the media receiver as it has an hd dtv tuner and electronic program guide built in?

3. What's the best way to go about hooking up these components. I would like to have everything controlled by the media receiver, but I don't think that is going to be possible. My alternative is the norm, run everything through my Yamaha and then send the signal back through the media receiver.

I just need some place to start on this as it is starting to upset me. All I see are good reviews of this tv, and all I saw in showrooms was a fantastic picture. I just can't seem to get mine set to this quality.

Any help would be great, and if I need to post in a different area to answer the question about the Rogers HD and my media receiver if someone could point me in the right direciton please.

Thanks all, hope you can help...

2. John S

John S Producer

Well how are you you connecting your video sources?

Sounds like your using Svideo cables to me....

Only component video, and DVI / HDMI support HD / ED you know.....

3. Tomas:R

Tomas:R Auditioning

No like I said I am using Component Video cables, not s-video.

Thanks

4. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

Hope this helps, but I don't understand your 2 receiver setup.
    For home theater the normal setup is-
    - DVD player has component out to the tv, plus digital (coax or optical) out to the receiver.
    - Rogers box (cable?) DVI or component out to the tv, plus digital out to the receiver.
    - 5:1 usually processed by the receiver, also can be processed by some high end DVD players.

Also check out the cable box...mine uses the remote to change and set the reception to 1080,720,480 etc....so you might have something similar set to 480.