Recent NPR interview promotes merits of OAR on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Vardy, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Just thought it was interesting that during the week I was listening to a program discussing the merits of the Pianist and Roman Polanski's work in the car on NPR. The reviewer being interviewed talked about 'popping in the Chinatown DVD' and actually being able to see the proper framing in OAR rather than the normal "P&S" that most people know which distorts the composition and 'feel' of the movie. Since most times classics are still shown in P&S on TV I guess most people never get the benefit of the full artistry of the Director on important works. This is the kind of interview that might sway some people if they understood that looking at movies in P&S is similar to zooming in on a great painting and only seeing the center 50%.

How would J6P feel if when driving they could only look through the center 50% of the glass and the rest of the windshield were blacked out? Would he/she feel safe or would they start to realize that they are missing some information?

Joel

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Nice catch Joel. I heard this interview as well, but it escaped me that there was a plus for OAR during the interview.

I suspect that a good percentage of NPR listeners are already aware of proper formatting. [​IMG]

3. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Martin Scorsese was interviewed last week on Fresh Air or Diane Rehm and they were talking about the Gangs of New York DVD. One of the things he mentioned was how much he hates Pan & Scan. [​IMG]

Gregory

4. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor