What's new

Recent infinite loop reboot bug renders Samsung bluray players into bricks. (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Count me as another who's Samsung blu-ray player just gave up the ghost. Even if they do come up with a "fix", I would love to know how it would be implemented as the device doesn't stay on long enough to really accomplish anything. Something tells me I'm going to end up having to replace it....
Makes mental note to never connect Samsung BD-5100 to Ethernet in order to avoid 5150 situation. :wacko:

Seriously, this has to be the worst mass cock-up associated with physical media devices that I've ever read about. I see Samsung going the gift card compensation route on this one, which will be of absolute zero help toward getting replacement Blu-ray devices as they no longer produce them!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Something else possibly similar has already happened, with other devices bricking due to expired certificates such as roku.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Count me as another who's Samsung blu-ray player just gave up the ghost. Even if they do come up with a "fix", I would love to know how it would be implemented as the device doesn't stay on long enough to really accomplish anything. Something tells me I'm going to end up having to replace it....

Andrew -- All I can think of is that they would need us to send the players in for repair. I decided that I didn't want to go through all that. This company abandoned DVD and Blu-ray players about 18 months ago. I'm ready to move on, so I just immediately ordered a UHD player from Sony. My Denon receiver is already 4K ready; and my 1080p Projector is ready to be replaced. And the new UHD player will also play my 3D Blu-rays. So I'm "good".

Oh, and I'll *never* purchase *anything* from Samsung again.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Andrew -- All I can think of is that they would need us to send the players in for repair. I decided that I didn't want to go through all that. This company abandoned DVD and Blu-ray players about 18 months ago. I'm ready to move on, so I just immediately ordered a UHD player from Sony. My Denon receiver is already 4K ready; and my 1080p Projector is ready to be replaced. And the new UHD player will also play my 3D Blu-rays. So I'm "good".

Oh, and I'll *never* purchase *anything* from Samsung again.

Well this situation is certainly making me second-guess whether to have ANY devices connected to the internet period. If all it takes is a mass download to stop thousands of devices from working at once.....well, it's beyond disheartening. I have zero interest in making the leap to 4K (a little too costly for my budget at present), but I'd buy a new blu-ray player before going through the hassle and rigmarole of sending this one in to be repaired. I'll give it until next week to see what Samsung's stance (if any) is on the matter. Otherwise, I'll chalk it up as a lost cause and replace it.

Samsung will never see another dollar from me as well.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just so everybody knows, Samsung’s “solution” to this mess was — as predicted — to require you to send your player in for repair. I’m glad I decided to just “trash” mine ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks