What's new

Recent "godzilla" Movies (1 Viewer)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Not exactly sure what you mean, but here's some info:

If you wanna see how it all began, rent the original, which was a fairly serious piece of cineam despite its comparitive cheesiness to today's monster flicks, and some of the 60's and 70's sequels, which were aimed at a much younger audience, and ultimately killed the series in the mid-70's.

A bunch of them are available in this box set, which is usually pretty cheap to buy. Individual discs are also available and some places will no doubt have them for rent:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Many films from of the mid-80's early 90's revival series are available from Columbia Tri-Star. This thread mentions nearly all of them. Jacked up budgets, jacked up production value, better special effects. Still a bit cheesy and draggy in spots, but if you dig them, you might mind. These films started in 1985 with GODZILLA 1985 and ended in 1995 with GODZILLA VS. DESTOROYAH. Only the first two, GODZILLA 1985 and GODZILLA Vs. BIOLLANTE remain unreleased on DVD. The continuity's a bit dodgy from film to film in this series, so you don't necesarily have to start at the beginning to follow them.

The most recent revival began with GODZILLA MILLENNIUM (or GODZILLA 2000 in the US) and will wrap up with this year's GODZILLA FINAL WARS. All the films barring the last one and, obviously, the upcoming one, are available on US DVD. There's very little continuity from one film to the next in this series apart from, I believe, the two most recent ones, so you can pretty much jump in anywhere.

As to where to find them, well, they're all over the place, and many chain rental outlets will likely have at least a few of them if you don't wanna spring for buying them.

If you watch the newer stuff first, obviously it could bias you against the older stuff, which is decidedly cheaper and designed to appeal to youngsters (though not guite as young as the old GAMERA movies.

This reminds me, if you wanna start at the top, rent any of the three mid-90's GAMERA movies. They are by far the greatest Japanese monster movies ever made (particularly the third one, which rivals the US Godzilla in technical flair, while retaining the distinctly Japanese monster movie themes), complete with big budgets, digital effects, realistic and logical interaction between monsters and surroundings during battles, intelligent human characters and more. The director of this series, Shusuke Kaneko, even helmed one of the newer Godzilla flicks, GODZILLA, MOTHRA, KING GHIDORAH: ALL OUT MONSTERS ATTACK, which is one of the better entries in that group.

GAMERA: GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE:

GAMERA: THE ADVENT OF LEGION

GAMERA III: REVENGE OF IRIS

Hope that helps.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Not exactly sure what you mean, but here's some info:

If you wanna see how it all began, rent the original, which was a fairly serious piece of cineam despite its comparitive cheesiness to today's monster flicks, and some of the 60's and 70's sequels, which were aimed at a much younger audience, and ultimately killed the series in the mid-70's.

A bunch of them are available in this box set, which is usually pretty cheap to buy. Individual discs are also available and some places will no doubt have them for rent:

Many films from of the mid-80's early 90's revival series are available from Columbia Tri-Star. This thread mentions nearly all of them. Jacked up budgets, jacked up production value, better special effects. Still a bit cheesy and draggy in spots, but if you dig them, you might mind. These films started in 1985 with GODZILLA 1985 and ended in 1995 with GODZILLA VS. DESTOROYAH. Only the first two, GODZILLA 1985 and GODZILLA Vs. BIOLLANTE remain unreleased on DVD. The continuity's a bit dodgy from film to film in this series, so you don't necesarily have to start at the beginning to follow them.

The most recent revival began with GODZILLA MILLENNIUM (or GODZILLA 2000 in the US) and will wrap up with this year's GODZILLA FINAL WARS. All the films barring the last one and, obviously, the upcoming one, are available on US DVD. There's very little continuity from one film to the next in this series apart from, I believe, the two most recent ones, so you can pretty much jump in anywhere.

As to where to find them, well, they're all over the place, and many chain rental outlets will likely have at least a few of them if you don't wanna spring for buying them.

If you watch the newer stuff first, obviously it could bias you against the older stuff, which is decidedly cheaper and designed to appeal to youngsters (though not guite as young as the old GAMERA movies.

This reminds me, if you wanna start at the top, rent any of the three mid-90's GAMERA movies. They are by far the greatest Japanese monster movies ever made (particularly the third one, which rivals the US Godzilla in technical flair, while retaining the distinctly Japanese monster movie themes), complete with big budgets, digital effects, realistic and logical interaction between monsters and surroundings during battles, intelligent human characters and more. The director of this series, Shusuke Kaneko, even helmed one of the newer Godzilla flicks, GODZILLA, MOTHRA, KING GHIDORAH: ALL OUT MONSTERS ATTACK, which is one of the better entries in that group.

GAMERA: GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE:

GAMERA: THE ADVENT OF LEGION

GAMERA III: REVENGE OF IRIS

Hope that helps.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
THanks I wrote that message at 1:00 morning. What I meant was I've been wanting to watch a Godzilla movie for a while but I have no idea where to start. Also Godzilla 1985 was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw when I was a kid.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
THanks I wrote that message at 1:00 morning. What I meant was I've been wanting to watch a Godzilla movie for a while but I have no idea where to start. Also Godzilla 1985 was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw when I was a kid.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
If that's the case, you could probably continue with the movies that followed GODZILLA 1985

GODZILLA VS. SPACE GODZILLA and GODZILLA VS. DESTOROYAH are available in a double bill from Columbia Tri-Star, although I believe these are both full frame, which kinda sucks.
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=COL004690

GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA and GODZILLA vs. KING GHIDORAH are also available on a 2 pack. These might be widescreen, but I can't remember:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=COL003132

Columbia TriStar also released GODZILLA VS. MECHGODZILLA (1993) as well, but I can't seem to find it anymore. The 2002 version, which is part of the newer series, and 1978's TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA seem to be the only ones available.

I listed the Deep Discount sites because both double bills are a decent price there and they have a 20% off sale right now (codes in the Coupons & Bargains forum)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
If that's the case, you could probably continue with the movies that followed GODZILLA 1985

GODZILLA VS. SPACE GODZILLA and GODZILLA VS. DESTOROYAH are available in a double bill from Columbia Tri-Star, although I believe these are both full frame, which kinda sucks.
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=COL004690

GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA and GODZILLA vs. KING GHIDORAH are also available on a 2 pack. These might be widescreen, but I can't remember:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=COL003132

Columbia TriStar also released GODZILLA VS. MECHGODZILLA (1993) as well, but I can't seem to find it anymore. The 2002 version, which is part of the newer series, and 1978's TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA seem to be the only ones available.

I listed the Deep Discount sites because both double bills are a decent price there and they have a 20% off sale right now (codes in the Coupons & Bargains forum)

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
Thanks is it wrong that I want hear someone scream...

"LOOK IT BE GOOOOODDDDDZILLLAAAA!!!!!":D

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
Thanks is it wrong that I want hear someone scream...

"LOOK IT BE GOOOOODDDDDZILLLAAAA!!!!!":D

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Pan and scan, VHS release only. I keep waiting for them to release this on DVD (arguably the best of the 90's films), but so far no-go.

As a Godzilla fan, I whole-heartedly agree with Brian T.'s first post; the 90's Gamera films are great (as is GMK)!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Pan and scan, VHS release only. I keep waiting for them to release this on DVD (arguably the best of the 90's films), but so far no-go.

As a Godzilla fan, I whole-heartedly agree with Brian T.'s first post; the 90's Gamera films are great (as is GMK)!

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
***Columbia TriStar also released GODZILLA VS. MECHGODZILLA (1993) as well, but I can't seem to find it anymore.***

It was released on DVD in Germany (widescreen as well if I remember correctly) The main soundtrack was German but, with a bit of fiddling on most DVD players , you can get it to play in English without the German subtitles. Sadly no Japanese audio option though.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
GODZILLA, MOTHRA, KING GHIDORAH: ALL OUT MONSTERS ATTACK

This is the one directed by Shusuke Kaneko, the man behind the awesom mid-90's GAMERA revival.

It's also an excellent stand-alone entry in this new Godzilla series. I reference it in my review of GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA above.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just got back from watching "Godzilla, Toyko S.O.S. (a beautiful 2.35:1 color print and the US premier showing of this), King Kong vs Godzilla (a newly struck 35mm color print in 2.35:1, it looked great and even better in widescreen) and "Gigantis the Fire Monster(aka Godzilla Raids Again)" (1.33:1 b&w print, it was in darn good shape and this was the first time in 40 yrs. that it has been publicly screened. I don't remember ever seeing this one, even in the 50's when I was a kid.

Can anyone tell me the title of the one where these Japanese soldiers are fighting on an island and pray to a cave god and Godzilla appears and helps them win the battle?

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
That sounds like Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, though they don't "pray to a cave god" and the Godzilla that does show up is a Godzillasaurus, the Big Guy's pre-irradiated, dinosaurian form. He ends up helping the Japanese soldiers beat the dasterdly Americans (!). After the battle, the Japanese platoon salute their fallen (wounded by the American's shells) saviour, and bid him a speedy recovery.

I envy you seeing some of the G films being shown at The Egyptian theater in LA. I bet they looked great! I actually considered (for a few seconds) flying out there and taking in all the films being shown; but commonsense got the better of me and I wimped out...

JackKay

Second Unit
YIKES! I can't take it any more. Does anyone know if this Original Godzilla, now in theaters, is coming to DVD?:confused:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Thanks Jim,

They were great looking. I get to the office at 0500 and I usually go to bed at 2100, so by the time the double feature was ready to start, I was ready to fall asleep.

The Egyptain Theatre capacity is about 650 people, pretty small.

I have a great home theater but I don't care what anyone says, nothing is as good as seeing a flick at the theater the way you are suppose to see it... !

:D

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Does anybody know when this is coming to DVD in Region 1?

BTW, if anybody needs it, Godzilla 2000, which includes a very nice 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer and DD 5.1 audio, was spotted today in the Wal-Mart $5.50 bin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks