Recent "godzilla" Movies

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RobertSiegel, Jun 18, 2004.

1. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

I would like to hear what you think of the newer Godzilla movies, from Toho released on Columbia/Tri-star, preferably from any Godzilla fans. I have been a Godzilla fan since I was a kid, and those were some of my most memorable Saturday afternoon matinees. Watching those old ones today are fun but was I shocked when I got home the other night from my dvd store.

I purchased Columbia's dvd releases of the Godzilla films released in the last 8 years in Japan. WOW. Now with CGI, 2:35:1 editions, and actual 5.1 surround (kick ass sound by the way, when Godzilla enters Japan, you can really feel each step), I was blown away. Sure, they still use some models but not as many, but vast improvements in the stories, acting, and Godzilla itself made for some awesome hours at my Sony front projector. The best one for me was Godzilla vs. Destroyah. I prefer the Japanese audio tracks with subtitles, there is NO improvement in the dubbing, the actors used for the dudding are terrible and tacky.

Too bad they didn't use the original monster design, and a good script writer for the American version. I plan to order right away the other 2 that the store didn't carry!

2. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

I would like to hear what you think of the newer Godzilla movies, from Toho released on Columbia/Tri-star, preferably from any Godzilla fans. I have been a Godzilla fan since I was a kid, and those were some of my most memorable Saturday afternoon matinees. Watching those old ones today are fun but was I shocked when I got home the other night from my dvd store.

I purchased Columbia's dvd releases of the Godzilla films released in the last 8 years in Japan. WOW. Now with CGI, 2:35:1 editions, and actual 5.1 surround (kick ass sound by the way, when Godzilla enters Japan, you can really feel each step), I was blown away. Sure, they still use some models but not as many, but vast improvements in the stories, acting, and Godzilla itself made for some awesome hours at my Sony front projector. The best one for me was Godzilla vs. Destroyah. I prefer the Japanese audio tracks with subtitles, there is NO improvement in the dubbing, the actors used for the dudding are terrible and tacky.

Too bad they didn't use the original monster design, and a good script writer for the American version. I plan to order right away the other 2 that the store didn't carry!

3. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

5. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

I'm not a Godzilla fan per se, but I'm trying to learn Japanese and watching films is a good method. The other night I watched GODZILLA vs. MEGAGUIRUS on DVD. In this one, they try to capture it in a miniature Black Hole - but a bug gets trapped and mutates. Overall, I enjoyed it (I liked the main battle and the SFX were solid)- certainly more than the recent U.S. version and Godzilla 2000.

They also have GODZILLA, MOTHRA & KING GHIDORAH at the video place and I'll get that sometime. I'm not sure if Toho made it but I really liked GAMERA from a couple years back.

6. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

I'm not a Godzilla fan per se, but I'm trying to learn Japanese and watching films is a good method. The other night I watched GODZILLA vs. MEGAGUIRUS on DVD. In this one, they try to capture it in a miniature Black Hole - but a bug gets trapped and mutates. Overall, I enjoyed it (I liked the main battle and the SFX were solid)- certainly more than the recent U.S. version and Godzilla 2000.

They also have GODZILLA, MOTHRA & KING GHIDORAH at the video place and I'll get that sometime. I'm not sure if Toho made it but I really liked GAMERA from a couple years back.

7. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

GMK is, IMHO one of the best godzilla movies ever made. At the very least as far as Godzilla himself is concerned. ruthless, as he should be. Pretty wicked look with the totally white eyes. check this one out!

8. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

GMK is, IMHO one of the best godzilla movies ever made. At the very least as far as Godzilla himself is concerned. ruthless, as he should be. Pretty wicked look with the totally white eyes. check this one out!

9. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

LOVE Godzilla 2000!
    (hated US version)
    What are the other G movies that rock (A/V quality as well)?

10. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

LOVE Godzilla 2000!
    (hated US version)
    What are the other G movies that rock (A/V quality as well)?

11. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"I'm trying to learn Japanese"

Me too. Out of the dozen of so books I have, Japanese for Dummies was the best. I learned ALOT from it

Sorry for going off topic[​IMG]

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"I'm trying to learn Japanese"

Me too. Out of the dozen of so books I have, Japanese for Dummies was the best. I learned ALOT from it

Sorry for going off topic[​IMG]

13. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

when is the DVD of the original Godzilla coming out? the one that is distributed right now/

14. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

when is the DVD of the original Godzilla coming out? the one that is distributed right now/

15. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Haven't seen any release info for the original. I want it though!

GMK is hands down one of the greatest G movies ever made! I love all of the new gen films. The final one is in production now called Final Wars, looks to be an update of Destroy All Monsters with the director of Versus.

16. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Haven't seen any release info for the original. I want it though!

GMK is hands down one of the greatest G movies ever made! I love all of the new gen films. The final one is in production now called Final Wars, looks to be an update of Destroy All Monsters with the director of Versus.

17. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

One of the best methods for learning Japanese is the Pimsleur method, which is a series of audio lessons in which common conversations are broken down phonetically and with respect to the meaning of each indivudual word. Great for listening to in the car and "playing" along. I have about 16 half-hour lessons so far and, although I've slacked off for a while, I wouldn't trade them for anything. They're easy to find on most music sharing services.

Here's my thoughts on GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA (American title?), ported over from the "Asian Cinema on DVD" thread:

GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA (2002) Like others in the Godzila series, this new entry establishes itself as a direct sequel to the 1954 original, even using digitally altered footage from that film, as well as clips from MOTHRA and WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS to once again illustrate Japan’s troubled history withunruly giant creatures. When Godzilla once again threatens her shores, Japan’s female prime minister (Kumi Mizuno) calls together her greatest scientific minds, including cyber-biologist Tokimitsu Yuhara (Shin Takuma), whose inclusion in this group gives his precocious daughter Sara (Kana Onodera) a backstage pass to witness the creation of a new bioweapon developed using the recently-uncovered original Godzilla bones.

The elite JSDF team assembled to pilot the machine is augmented by the lone survivor, Akane Yashiro (Yumiko Shaku), of an eight minute opening Maser-gun battle with Godzilla, her presence made all the more uncomfortable by the vindictive suspicions of a teammate whose brother perished in that disaster. Christened Mechagodzilla, this robo-beast amounts to the re-arming of Japan, something the rest of the world finds rather dismaying, and when the unit’s memories of its demise in 1954 are stirred by Godzilla’s roar, the battle’s a draw, the combatants stand down, and the Prime Minister’s out of a job. When Godzilla returns, there’s no choice but to repogram MechaGodzilla and send it back into battle, during which, not surprisingly, Akane herself must take the helm to not only save her country and discourage the naysayers, but to prove to herself - and, of course, to young, conveniently motherless Sara - that no life is worthless. Both of the “final” shots in the movie - take your pick; there’s a sequence after the closing credits - are fitting.

GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS director Nasaki Tezuka returns to the series with a highly worthy effort, finding a pitch-perfect blend of suits and CGI in his impressive battle sequences, while allowing for reflection (as always) on Japan’s nuclear-tainted history, nodding to the ever- increasing empowerment of women in Japanese society (though neatly reminding us that they, too can fail on a large scale before earning redemption) and, as in GODZILLA 2000 and many others in the series, cleverly constructing a modern family dynamic between the pilot, the scientist and his daughter.

People groused that Shinsuke Kaneko’s GODZILLA, MOTHRA, KING GHIDORA: ALL OUT GIANT MONSTERS ATTACK, while simultaneously jumpstarting a moribund franchise with still-vastly-improved visual flare, lacked the dynamism and realism of his 90’s GAMERA trlogy, but they were missing the point. Save the first film, GODZILLA has always been for kids, maybe not as young as the original GAMERA series of the 60’s, but kids nonetheless. And, I suppose, kids-at-heart. The stories can be pure formula, the character dynamics refried from earlier entries (in fact, many of the most subtle FX in this movie, simple dialogue scenes on catwalks around the Mechagodzilla hangar with the behemoth in the background, are simply more convincing updates of scenes we saw in the 70’s), but as long as there’s enough razzle-dazzle and a vicarious point-of-entry for the kids, the movie’s probably a done deal in the eys of Toho executives. Here, the Sara character is our vicarious tour guide to the inner workings of the JSDF and all its stoic patriotism (even her friends, walking home with her from school, are slack-jawed at her priveleged access to headquarters). Where the GAMERA updates were intended to make full use of the character’s added features (mainly flight) and the advances in modern special effects and high-concept screenplay writing to draw in more savvy audiences, the Millenium Godzilla series, like those that came before, have always retained a compartively simple modus operandi: appeal to the kids, and make the adults wish they were still kids. On this level, GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA probably surpasses the previous three entries, and at a lean, nicely paced 96 minutes (88 in its American incarnation I’m told; WHY DO THEY BOTHER!), it’s certainly the easiest on the behind and quietly sets up the sequel, GODZILLA, MOTHRA, MECHAGODZILLA: TOKYO S.O.S. (2003).

-----------------------------------------------

While I nearly always push people to watch any Asian film in its original language with subtitles, I always make an exception for GODZILLA 2000. The American edit of this tightened up the leaden pace of the Japanese original quite nicely, the dubbing was tolerable (although the original language would still have been preferable), the 5.1 remix was outstanding and the instrumental score was a vast improvement over the synthy junk used in the Japanese cut. I have both versions on DVD, but would instinctively go to the Columbia Tri-Star version first for a second viewing.

18. Brian Thibodeau

One of the best methods for learning Japanese is the Pimsleur method, which is a series of audio lessons in which common conversations are broken down phonetically and with respect to the meaning of each indivudual word. Great for listening to in the car and "playing" along. I have about 16 half-hour lessons so far and, although I've slacked off for a while, I wouldn't trade them for anything. They're easy to find on most music sharing services.

Here's my thoughts on GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA (American title?), ported over from the "Asian Cinema on DVD" thread:

GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA (2002) Like others in the Godzila series, this new entry establishes itself as a direct sequel to the 1954 original, even using digitally altered footage from that film, as well as clips from MOTHRA and WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS to once again illustrate Japan’s troubled history withunruly giant creatures. When Godzilla once again threatens her shores, Japan’s female prime minister (Kumi Mizuno) calls together her greatest scientific minds, including cyber-biologist Tokimitsu Yuhara (Shin Takuma), whose inclusion in this group gives his precocious daughter Sara (Kana Onodera) a backstage pass to witness the creation of a new bioweapon developed using the recently-uncovered original Godzilla bones.

The elite JSDF team assembled to pilot the machine is augmented by the lone survivor, Akane Yashiro (Yumiko Shaku), of an eight minute opening Maser-gun battle with Godzilla, her presence made all the more uncomfortable by the vindictive suspicions of a teammate whose brother perished in that disaster. Christened Mechagodzilla, this robo-beast amounts to the re-arming of Japan, something the rest of the world finds rather dismaying, and when the unit’s memories of its demise in 1954 are stirred by Godzilla’s roar, the battle’s a draw, the combatants stand down, and the Prime Minister’s out of a job. When Godzilla returns, there’s no choice but to repogram MechaGodzilla and send it back into battle, during which, not surprisingly, Akane herself must take the helm to not only save her country and discourage the naysayers, but to prove to herself - and, of course, to young, conveniently motherless Sara - that no life is worthless. Both of the “final” shots in the movie - take your pick; there’s a sequence after the closing credits - are fitting.

GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS director Nasaki Tezuka returns to the series with a highly worthy effort, finding a pitch-perfect blend of suits and CGI in his impressive battle sequences, while allowing for reflection (as always) on Japan’s nuclear-tainted history, nodding to the ever- increasing empowerment of women in Japanese society (though neatly reminding us that they, too can fail on a large scale before earning redemption) and, as in GODZILLA 2000 and many others in the series, cleverly constructing a modern family dynamic between the pilot, the scientist and his daughter.

People groused that Shinsuke Kaneko’s GODZILLA, MOTHRA, KING GHIDORA: ALL OUT GIANT MONSTERS ATTACK, while simultaneously jumpstarting a moribund franchise with still-vastly-improved visual flare, lacked the dynamism and realism of his 90’s GAMERA trlogy, but they were missing the point. Save the first film, GODZILLA has always been for kids, maybe not as young as the original GAMERA series of the 60’s, but kids nonetheless. And, I suppose, kids-at-heart. The stories can be pure formula, the character dynamics refried from earlier entries (in fact, many of the most subtle FX in this movie, simple dialogue scenes on catwalks around the Mechagodzilla hangar with the behemoth in the background, are simply more convincing updates of scenes we saw in the 70’s), but as long as there’s enough razzle-dazzle and a vicarious point-of-entry for the kids, the movie’s probably a done deal in the eys of Toho executives. Here, the Sara character is our vicarious tour guide to the inner workings of the JSDF and all its stoic patriotism (even her friends, walking home with her from school, are slack-jawed at her priveleged access to headquarters). Where the GAMERA updates were intended to make full use of the character’s added features (mainly flight) and the advances in modern special effects and high-concept screenplay writing to draw in more savvy audiences, the Millenium Godzilla series, like those that came before, have always retained a compartively simple modus operandi: appeal to the kids, and make the adults wish they were still kids. On this level, GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA probably surpasses the previous three entries, and at a lean, nicely paced 96 minutes (88 in its American incarnation I’m told; WHY DO THEY BOTHER!), it’s certainly the easiest on the behind and quietly sets up the sequel, GODZILLA, MOTHRA, MECHAGODZILLA: TOKYO S.O.S. (2003).

-----------------------------------------------

While I nearly always push people to watch any Asian film in its original language with subtitles, I always make an exception for GODZILLA 2000. The American edit of this tightened up the leaden pace of the Japanese original quite nicely, the dubbing was tolerable (although the original language would still have been preferable), the 5.1 remix was outstanding and the instrumental score was a vast improvement over the synthy junk used in the Japanese cut. I have both versions on DVD, but would instinctively go to the Columbia Tri-Star version first for a second viewing.

19. Brian Thibodeau

In case anyone is unaware, the newer G-film series began in 1984 with GODZILLA 1984 (GODZILLA 1985 in its American incarnation with a revisit from Raymond Burr), continued with GODZILLA vs. BIOLLANTE in 1989, then through several others (not to mention the two MOTHRA kiddie flicks in the mid-90's) until they killed him off in DESTOROYAH. The series was revived with GODZILLA 2000 and will finish him off again with Ryuhei Kitamura's GODZILLA FINAL WARS this year.

20. Brian Thibodeau

In case anyone is unaware, the newer G-film series began in 1984 with GODZILLA 1984 (GODZILLA 1985 in its American incarnation with a revisit from Raymond Burr), continued with GODZILLA vs. BIOLLANTE in 1989, then through several others (not to mention the two MOTHRA kiddie flicks in the mid-90's) until they killed him off in DESTOROYAH. The series was revived with GODZILLA 2000 and will finish him off again with Ryuhei Kitamura's GODZILLA FINAL WARS this year.